The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
Her Campus at uOttawa’s Beauty Awards series shares the best skincare, haircare, and cosmetic product recs that our chapter has to offer. We hope that our favourites will become your favourites too.

New to Ottawa and not sure where to get your hair done? We know all the best places.

salon rouge (Teaghan and Ligia‘s Pick)

Who: Award-winning master stylist Amir and his team serve business executives, politicians, celebrities, and other trendy people (yes, including you).

What: This salon specializes in fashion-forward cuts, balayage, highlights, and high-end hair treatments.

When: Salon Rouge is open Mondays and Tuesdays 10–6, Wednesdays through Fridays 10–8, and Saturdays 9–5.

Where: Located at 222 Dalhousie Street in Byward Market, Salon Rouge is only a 15 minute walk from Tabaret Hall.

Price range: $$$

Julep Salon and Studio (Maddie‘s Pick)

Who: Stylists Sophie, Jen, and Natalie believe that beauty should be a community, not a contest. The Julep community consists of diverse clients, from women to men and children.

What: Come for the highlights, balayage, and product recommendations, and stay for the flower wall, spa treatments, and energy therapy.

When: Julep’s open hours are Tuesdays and Fridays 10–7, Wednesdays 11–8, Thursdays 12–8, and Saturdays 8–4.

Where: The hour-long bus ride to 9 Brook Lane in Nepean is worth it for service like this — promise.

Price range: $$

Maneland (Sydney‘s Pick)

Who: To cite its website, Maneland caters its services to “ladies and gents” with various tastes; “University of Ottawa students welcome!”

What: Maneland is known for its cuts, styling, and relaxer and keratin treatments.

When: Maneland’s open hours are Mondays through Saturdays 10–8 and Sundays 12–5.

Where: Maneland is by far the closest hair salon to campus; it’s located right below the Annex residence!

Price range: $ (Make sure to get the student discount!)

Headquarters (Sophia‘s Pick)

Who: Master stylist Damien and senior stylist Sammi accept clients with all hair types (including kinky and curly!), and master mixologist Warren makes sure that none of them go thirsty.

What: Headquarters is known not only for its superb hairstyling services (including cuts, colour services, extensions, and chemical treatments), but also for its brunch, coffee, and cocktail menus.

When: Headquarters is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 10–5; Saturdays and Sundays 9–5; and Wednesdays 10 to ~late~.

Where: According to Google Maps, Headquarters (located at 115 Clarence Street) is just a 12-minute walk from campus.

Price range: $$$

Salon130 (Vicki‘s Pick)

Who: The experienced hairstylists at Salon130 create a welcoming environment for all.

What: Salon130 executes stellar cuts, as well as a wide variety of colour services.

When: This salon is open Tuesdays through Saturdays 10–7.

Where: Especially convenient for those who work at parliament, Salon130 is located at 130 Slater Street — an address that is also easily walkable from campus.

Price range: $$ (book for a weekday to take advantage of the student discount!)

Salon Five Forty-Eight (Gwen‘s Pick)

Who: Stylists Sylvie, Brooke, Raeanne, Brittney, and Bailey each specialize in different areas, which is what makes this salon so great for so many people.

What: The salon’s most popular services include cuts, styling, foil highlights, and balayage.

When: Salon Five Forty-Eight is open Tuesdays through Thursdays 10–8, Fridays 10–6, and Saturdays 9–4.

Where: Located just outside of Centretown at 548 Rochester Street, Salon Five-Forty Eight is only a 30-minute bus ride from campus.

Price range: $$$

Euphoria Hair Salon and Spa (Gwen‘s Pick)

Who: Stylists Mike, Manon, Alexis, and Georges offer services to English-, French-, Greek-, and Spanish-speaking clients in an LGBT- and queer-friendly environment.

What: Try not to get overwhelmed by the number of services provided at this salon; there are a lot. Among them are cuts, as well as various styling, colour, and specialty services.

When: Euphoria’s hours have changed since 2021; the salon is now open Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30–8, Fridays 9:30–6, and Saturdays 9–5.

Where: Take bus 16 from the stop at Laurier East and Cumberland, and you’ll arrive at Euphoria’s 1195 Wellington Street West salon in only 20 minutes.

Price range: $$$

The Cutting Shack (Hailey and CAtrina‘s Pick)

Who: Educated hair professionals Dino, Daiva, and Kiersten price their services based on value rather than age or gender to accommodate a diverse clientele.

What: The stylists at the Cutting Shack offer cuts, formal styling, hair gloss, and a wide variety of colour services.

When: This salon is open Tuesdays 10–5, Wednesdays 10–2:30, Thursdays and Fridays 10–6, and Saturdays 10–4.

Where: Its convenient location at the corner of Cumberland and Stewart contributes to its popularity among students.

Price range: $ (Ask for the student discount!)

Hair republic (Sama’s Pick)

Who: Hair Republic’s team of over 30 talented and professionally trained stylists greets all customers as if they were long-lost friends.

What: Hair Republic offers cuts, of course, but the salon’s real specialties include highlights, balayage, and treatments for various hair types.

When: Hours vary based on location.

Where: Hair Republic has four locations, the closest to campus being located inside the Hudson’s Bay at Rideau Centre.

Price range: $$

Maxime Beauty Salon (Saina‘s Pick)

Who: Master stylist Atallah and master barber Dolly offer top-notch services to women, men, and children.

What: Maxime Beauty Salon offers a variety of services, from cuts and colour services to bridal hairstyling.

When: Its open hours are Tuesdays through Fridays 9–7, and Saturdays 10–7.

Where: This salon is located at 1240 Walkley Road in Heron Gate. Take bus number 6 from the Rideau A station to get here from campus.

Price range: $

Mint Hair Salon (Katie‘s Pick)

Who: Although the team at Mint Hair Salon isn’t currently taking new clients, this salon is definitely one to consider if you’re looking for a gender-neutral and eco-positive environment in the future.

What: Stylists Kristen, Onneka, Veneta, and Amber offer various cuts, as well as creative colour services and extensions.

When: Mint Hair Salon is open Tuesdays through Fridays 10–7 and Saturdays 10–4.

Where: This salon is just a quick bus ride away. Take bus 16 from the stop at Laurier East and Cumberland, and you’ll arrive at its location at 1071 Wellington Street West in under 20 minutes.

Price range: $$

Pure Hair Design (Gen‘s Pick)

Who: Pure Hair Design’s dedicated team makes sure to stay up-to-date on the latest styles and techniques, which makes this salon the perfect choice for clients seeking an of-the-moment style.

What: Pure Hair Design offers both salon and barbering services, including cuts, trims, highlights, and curls.

When: This salon is open Tuesdays 9–6, Wednesdays and Thursdays 9–8, Fridays 9–7, and Saturdays 9–5.

Where: Located at 50 Marketplace Avenue, this one’s a bit of a hike for those who live on campus and a better choice for those who live in Barrhaven.

Price range: $$

Do you love what we love? Check out the other articles in our Beauty Awards series:

Read about our favourite haircare and cosmetic products.

Learn about the woman-owned and Indigenous-owned beauty brands that inspire us.

May your beauty shine from the inside out.

Emily wrote and edited for Her Campus and Her Campus at uOttawa from 2020–2022.