This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

“Quite frankly, some women’s bodies just don’t work for [the pants] …” – Chip Wilson, co-founder of Lululemon, during a Bloomberg interview November 8th, 2013.

You’ve probably heard about the Lululemon plus-size scandal that has been news since November 2013. Following the recall of the Luon pants due to the material being too sheer in May 2013, Chip Wilson tried to blame the sheerness of the Luon pants on the size of women’s thighs.

Needless to say, this controversial comment brought shame to the company and many customers turned towards other retailers such as Nike and Under Armour to prove their discontent. Furthermore, the value of their stock has taken a toll, having decreased about 71% since June 2013.

Adding to the fuel, the company posted on their Facebook page that a plus-size collection wouldn’t fit in the Lululemon ‘formula’ since they target customers who are in the 2-12 size range. This created an uproar among the clientele who lost confidence in the quality of the products as well as in the integrity of the company.

It is important to point out that the average size of an American woman is size 14 and that Lululemon’s competitors, such as Nike, Under Armour and Athleta, sell clothes up to at least size 16.

It’s no secret that Lululemon needs to step up their game before putting themselves in the same uncomfortable position Abercrombie and Fitch was earlier in 2013. After a horrible year in sales, A&F will now finally offer larger sizes for some of its women’s clothes, online only, starting in 2014. It’s a start I suppose.

Lululemon should be proactive and answer the demand from its clientele before being financially forced to do so and mocked in the process.

But really, it is disappointing that some companies do not see the real benefit in offering plus size clothing. The plus size market is worth 14 billion dollars and represents 18% of the women’s clothing industry.

Sports retailers such as Lululemon would be smart to target plus size women since many of them want to make physical changes in their lives. They are ready to invest in clothing that fits well and that offers great support. In fact, IBIS World stated that these consumers were ready to spend 332 million dollars on plus size fitness clothing for women in 2013. It is a lot of potential sales Lululemon is missing out on.

So why does it seem to be such a burden to offer plus size collections if these lines could offer so many financial benefits and a good corporate image?

Companies like Lululemon and Abercrombie and Fitch have yet to understand the forward thinking others have come to adopt. We are slowly, but surely, growing into a more accepting and open society. People of all ages now proudly state their openness to different sexual orientations, religions, cultures and types of bodies.

We now encourage the acceptance of others and, thanks to social media, everyone’s opinion matters and can be heard by all.

Companies need to adapt their formula and objectives accordingly to be able to stay in beat with their consumers’ shifting demands.

A brand that only targets a group of consumers fulfilling specific criteria will not be viable for a long time. Purposely excluding and alienating a type of customer due to a company formula will not be accepted by consumers, as loyal as they can be. 

People stand by each other, which has been proven by reactions surrounding the Lululemon scandal.

Alanna Kaivalya, a writer at Huffington Post, felt very strongly about the situation, since she had been an ambassador for Lululemon – twice. Shocked and outraged, she started a movement called #DropLuluDrive, which consists of donating your Lululemon wear towards a good cause to make a statement.

Hundreds of people have followed the movement. In her article “Chip Wilson Can Kiss My Fat Yoga Ass: A Lululemon Ambassador Speaks Out” posted on Huffington Post, Alanna Kaivalya proved the irony of Lululemon’s formula since the brand is technically suppose to follow the values of yoga. 

“Everyone is accepted within the yoga practice. People whose thighs rub together are accepted. People whose thighs do not rub together are accepted. Short people, tall people, people of all ethnicities, and religious background… they’re all accepted. Poor people, rich people. They’re accepted, too. Yoga itself has zero investment in what you bring to the practice, only that you show up. So when did yoga become the property of the wealthy and skinny?”

The Cult of Lululemon has already started losing its strength and the company is in dire need to bring changes to its culture. 

I know their pants give the greatest butts, but let’s come together using #DropLuluDrive and pressure Lululemon to do the right decision by widening their horizon towards plus size women. 

Do you agree with this article? Tell me your opinion in the comment section below!