kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Inhale Confidence, Exhale Doubt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Stepping into the gym for the first time, or for the first time in a while, can be really scary for various reasons: 1) there’s people everywhere, 2) how do you find the machine you’re looking for without wandering around looking like a lost puppy, and 3) exercise? I thought you said extra fries! How does a gym even work?

Don’t let the fear of intimidation at the gym keep you from reaching your goals and staying confident. We’ve got you covered with tips to beat the most common feelings of awkwardness at the gym!

Intimidation factor #1: The guy beside you is lifting twice your weight…as a warmup. Pardon? And there’s a girl doing squats that literally has your dream body. How does her makeup still look like that? Not sure if you want to be her or be on her…either way, everyone seems to be perfect.

Beat it: Stop comparing yourself! You’re not there to compete with everyone around you. Every time you step in the gym, give yourself a high-five just for getting there. Then, remember that your only competition is yourself. Strive to be better than you were the day before and the progress you make will be incredible. And don’t forget, it’s okay to get sweaty. You’re not exercising to look hot at the gym. You’re exercising to look sexy as hell naked.

Intimidation factor #2: Everyone seems to know what they’re doing. It’s like the first day of grade 9 where you couldn’t find your locker and were late for class when everyone else was fitting in. You have no clue what you’re doing and it feels like every single person at the gym can tell.

Beat it: Don’t know where to start? Take a fitness class. Many gyms offer a variety of fitness classes (sometimes included in your membership – score!) so take advantage of that. Learn new exercises in a more private setting with a qualified instructor to make you feel comfortable. Use your resources! Ask lots of questions so when you take what you’ve learned to the main gym, you’ll feel super confident knowing your form is completely on point.

Intimidation factor #3: “I’m not ready for the gym.” This phrase is so often heard when people don’t think they’re “in shape” enough to work out in public and should reach a certain level of fitness first.

Beat it: The gym is not a social club for the fit, but a training ground for everyone. In reality, we’re all at the gym for the same reason – to improve. There’s no specific body type that can or can’t be at the gym. Even if you aren’t 100% confident in what you’ve got going on, no one is there to judge you. Honestly, most guys at the gym spend more time checking themselves out in the mirror than anything else. The biggest step isn’t on the Stairmaster or the treadmill, it’s through the front door of the gym. Go get ‘em, girl!

Intimidation factor #4: The myth that everyone has a gym buddy, or they’re just casually talking to each other about how they can lift 700lbs with one arm and run on the treadmill for 45 minutes without collapsing?

Beat it: Do you want someone there to motivate you, spot you, or talk to you between sets? Bring a friend! There’s power in numbers. Working out with a friend makes things a little less intimidating and a lot more fun! They will hold you accountable to crush your workouts, and keep you motivated when things get tough. Plus, you can learn new exercises or routines from them AND go get pizza together afterwards (kidding…mostly).

The gym doesn’t have to be a scary place. Everyone started from square one, so there’s no need to be embarrassed. When it comes down to it, you can fake it ‘till you make it! No one was born with perfect form and confidence, but if you push through and continue to give yourself positive reassurance, eventually you’ll turn the “I wish” into “I did”. No matter how awkward you may feel, you will never regret the workouts you finish. You do you and be fearless.

How do you stay positive during your workout? Let us know by tweeting us @HCuOttawa.

Stay beautiful, XO

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5