harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Manage Stress During Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all know the overwhelming feeling that is exam time, we feel like we are drowning in work and have no time to finish anything or have any sort of life. Here are some of the things I do to remind myself that although exams are stressful, we are still human and need to take time to manage this stress.

Setting Goals for the Day

By having a series of small goals for the day it is easier to not only manage your tasks but allow yourself to finish a list for the day. I find this extremely helpful and also allows you to have small wins and say “hey, today I finished my tasks”. It is more efficient and allows you to see the progress you are completing.

Go for a walk/run

Getting some fresh air while doing exercise allows you to take time to think about something other than your assignments and take you out of the dungeon that is the Morriset Library. I find by doing this sometimes I have more clarity in my assignments or study better. Cramming for 14 hours a day straight has no benefit for you or your grades.

Treat Yourself

Small rewards while studying/ writing papers gives you that small reminder that we are human! We can’t always be perfect at everything and we deserve to be rewarded for the things that we do. There is more to life than your small final and by rewarding yourself it gives you a break. Whether it be ice cream, a snack or even giving yourself 30 minutes to watch an episode of a show, you deserve it!

Get Together with Friends From Class

Remember that you’re not the only one feeling stressed or overwhelmed with the material from the class. Get together with people you know and discuss large concepts and throw ideas around. By doing this you not only realize that everyone is in the same boat as you, but it’s a different method of studying that in the end might be more effective than you thought.

Just Relax

Watch a movie, take a bath, go for dinner with friends. Whatever your routine may be don’t stop it because of exams! Yes, scheduling time is important and working your hardest is a good quality in the result of your grade, but taking time away from the books is okay too! Taking an hour here or there to make sure you can fit fun and relaxing things in your life is an awesome coping method for getting through the terror that is finals.