How to Keep Yourself Emotionally “Fit”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You might be wondering exactly what emotionally “fit” means. I’m making the comparison of how we all strive to maintain our physical fitness by working out at the gym, taking a Pilates class, running a marathon (whatever it is that you enjoy doing to stay in shape), to our emotional and psychological health, or “fitness.” Either by peer influence or self-motivation, we all venture to take on some sort of work-out regimen. As much as our physical health is important and can shape our mental health, it’s also important to incorporate other activities to keep you happy and uplifted!

Disclaimer: I am NOT discouraging you from traditional exercise! Exercise has an excellent and endless list of benefits, but if you want an alternative to going to the gym to wind down and rejuvenate your emotional health, here are some suggestions: 

JUST DANCE! 
Whether you’re dancing in your bedroom like no one is watching or you took the initiative to participate in classes at the local studio, JUST DANCE. As a dancer myself, the feeling of moving your body in all sorts of directions and effortlessly blending the rhythm of your body to the rhythm of the music is indescribable. You may be mentally tethered to your studies and ruminating constantly about your responsibilities, but dancing will give you a chance to dissociate from reality for a brief (but well needed) moment. Read about how dancing promotes heart health, boosts memory and reduces the risk of depression here.

Listen to your favourite tunes 
Recent studies have shown that listening to music can boost happiness and reduce anxiety. Coordinate your current mood with any playlist. If you’re ever feeling overwhelmed and need some time to breathe, listen to something to ease your mind! Detach yourself from the toxic stress and give your mind a detox with some of your favourite tunes. If you’re into the wonders of Spotify, check out these cool playlists: You & Me, Classical Acoustic and the Coachella 2017 Official Playlist.  

Talk to someone
There are definitely some individuals who prefer to internalize their thoughts and emotions, and allow them to brew until they hopefully miraculously disappear. Sometimes, we just have to let it out and talk about it with someone. Everyone understands their emotions differently. If you prefer to keep thoughts to yourself, that’s cool too. However, if you prefer to vent to your friend, your sibling, your mom, or your co-worker, go for it. You don’t have to encounter your setbacks in isolation. Seek and accept support from others! 

Immerse yourself in a good book 
This next task might be slightly challenging since you’re most likely cramming for midterms and finals that are fast approaching. Finding the time to read “for pleasure” in addition to your required readings is the infinite struggle that all university students face. Instead of browsing through your Facebook or Instagram feed before bed, replace your phone with a good book! It might also benefit your sleep because you’re not staring at a cell phone screen right before you go to bed. Not only is reading the healthier option for your sleep, but you’ll immerse yourself in whatever plot you are trying to decode allowing you to drift from reality, giving your mind a little holiday!

Seize meaningful moments and try not to dwell so much on the past 
I hate to break it to you, but dwelling on events that emphasize severe regret in your life won’t help you excel in the future. Dwelling on negativiy is a painful burden and may work against you while you are aiming towards your goals. Life is too darn short to be focusing on what has already happened in your life. Life is beautiful and filled will many significant and unexpected opportunities. The list is infinite. Seize each day and run with it. Keep your mind in shape and you’ll be able to conquer anything! 

Source: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

SaveSave