This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Your first year of university is just that—a year of firsts! With so much to learn and adjust to, it can understandably be difficult. Thankfully, there are a plethora of resources to help you in your transition to this new chapter. Her Campus at uOttawa has compiled a list of university resources you can find online, as well as some uOttawa-exclusive resources to help you crush your first (and second, third, and fourth!) year at university.

For Any University Student

Rate my Professors

Rate My Professors is a tool for students to rate and review their professors or lecturers. This can help you determine which class to take, as well as answer questions such as “is there a textbook?” or “is attendance required?”

Keep in mind that Rate My Professors may not have the most up to date information about a class, and reviews may be biased, so take everything you read with a grain of salt. Just because one student had issues with a professor does not mean you’re doomed to the same fate, and vice versa!

citation machine

APA? MLA? No problem. Citation Machine is an online source that helps format references and in-text citations for your academic papers. You can generate citations for journals, books, videos, websites and more.

Be sure to double-check that all the information is accurate and formatted correctly. Don’t forget that incorrect citations can count as plagarism!

purdue online writing lab

Need more help writing an essay or creating citations? The Purdue Online Writing Lab offers resources and instructions for general writing, subject-specific writing, tips on avoiding plagiarism, and more.

For University of Ottawa Students

Important Academic Dates and Deadlines

Questions about when classes are over for the semester? When tuition is due? Exam periods? Reading week? Make sure to check out the official academic dates and deadlines page on the University of Ottawa website. You can get information on when you’re able to enrol for classes, the last day to drop a class, and more.

uOttawa clubs list

Thinking of joining a club? Check out the CVUO’s list of clubs on campus! Find information on cultural clubs, recreational clubs, academic clubs, and more (including Her Campus at uOttawa!).

omni

Take advantage of Omni, the online resource for academic journals, books, videos and more! Log in with your uOttawa credentials and use the advanced search option to find relevant academic resources for your paper, essays or coursework.

foot patrol

Foot patrol is a volunteer-based organization that will walk or bus with you up to 45 minutes away from campus to ensure your safety and protection.

Health & Wellness Resources

Find online information and resources for health and wellness-related needs, including immediate support. Get details on physical and mental health resources, the Wellness Centre, wellness events (including therapy dog events!) and more.

Class Find

There’s nothing more stressful than running late to your first day in a new class, only to realize you actually have no idea where the room is! With uOttawa’s many buildings, it can be hard to navigate the halls. Thankfully, Class Find has directions (and pictures!) to help you find your classroom.

Grace Cowie

U Ottawa '24

Grace is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at uOttawa. She oversees the entire club, acts as a liason between the chapter and the university, and provides final edits and feedback for all content posted on the site. Outside of her role at Her Campus, Grace is a 5th year student studying communications and sociology, with plans to enter the PR or marketing field upon graduation. She enjoys running, old movies, new music, baking, and reading, and spending time with the amazing HC at uO team!