stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness: VS Angels Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The Victoria’s Secret Annual Fashion Show is just around the corner. Which means tons of girls will be pushing themselves more than usual, to get fit. Every girl dreams of one day being a VS Angel. And if you say you don’t, then you are in denial! We may not all get the chance to walk the famous runway covered in sparkles, but that doesn’t mean we can’t look like them! Well, try to look like them. 

The VS Angels have bodies that collegiettes die to have. They’re tall, beautiful, have amazing hair; most importantly, they’re fit. It’s not all multi-million dollar bras and fancy after parties for these ladies, they put in work. This year, many of the VS Angels have tried out a different kind of exercise routine, Ballet Beautiful. 

What is it?

Ballet Beautiful is a ballet-inspired fitness program that helps tone and create sleek ‘ballet’ muscles. The program was created by of course, a professional ballerina. Mary Helen Bowers created the program to help maintain her form as a professional dancer. The program includes exercise techniques that will tone your body to look like a graceful ballerina. The program guarantees a sleek body, better posture and more flexibility. 

How to Sign Up

Signing up for the program is simple. You can either register for classes just by going through the program’s calendar. If you’re in Manhattan, you can take a class right in the Ballet Beautiful studio. But, if you’re stuck in Ottawa (like most of us are), you can register for some of their online classes! They include online classes that are taped or live, you decide! 

If you prefer to have one on one training, you can sign up for private classes as well. Due to their busy schedules, the VS Angels have chosen to take private classes.

Alternatives

Since we are all on a student budget, perhaps an alternative to signing up to these classes would be better. Ballet Beautiful has DVDs that all include workouts to help you work towards getting the ballerina body you always wanted. There are three DVDs available. ‘Cardio Fat Burn’ which includes 4 fifteen minute workouts to tone, tighten and burn calories. ‘Total Body Workout’ includes 6 workouts to tighten and tone your butt, legs, arms and abs. And lastly, ‘Body Blast,’ is composed of 4 fifteen minute workouts to tone your entire body. The book, which also comes in eBook editions, talks about the Ballet Beautiful lifestyle. Healthy recipes, a workout calendar, and tips all from Mary Helen Bowers herself.

Go All Out!

If you’re going to do a ballet-inspired workout, you should look the part too! And no, do not go buy a pink tutu and wear light pink every day. Ballet Beautiful has an online store where you can purchase satin or leather ballet slippers, leg warmers, sweaters and shorts. If you’re trying to stay within your budget perhaps buying the slippers is not a good idea because they are a little pricey. But doing the workouts without the slippers is just fine. 

All About Mary

Mary Helen Bowers is originally from North Carolina, USA. At fifteen, she received a full scholarship at the School of American Ballet. Just a year later, she was invited to join the New York City Ballet and danced with the company for a decade. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature at Columbia University in NYC. Mary helped train Natalie Portman for her famous role as Nina Sawyers in ‘Black Swan’. 

The VS Angels have been training for the big fashion show for months. On top of doing some regular cardio, the models have incorporated Ballet Beautiful workouts to their routine. The program has allowed them to train around their busy schedule and given them a killer body. Because the program is ballet-inspired, it has a different approach to fitness. The program allows customers to enjoy the workouts they are doing while obtaining an elegant ballerina body. 

Working out is not always fun, but you don’t have to dread it either. With programs like Ballet Beautiful, how could you not enjoy working out? Just a reminder, Ballet Beautiful is a fitness program, it does not mean you have principal dancer status. You may not learn how to do fouettes on pointe, but you’ll definitely look like you know how! If this all sounds too good to be true, tune in to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show on December 10th on CBS at 10/9C and see how amazing the models look. For more information about the program, go to www.balletbeautiful.com

Photo credits:

http://www.welltaylered.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/bf3d7035d8a472f9dc13b03e6e0d52f0.jpg

http://c375735.r35.cf1.rackcdn.com/031398161936.jpg

https://store.balletbeautiful.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/m/_mg_5512b_1.jpg

http://www.wwd.com/images/processed/wwd/2012/06/12/eye-bower/portrait/00-main/bower03.JPG