Easy Treats to Bake Over the Holidays!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Out with exams and in with the holidays. It’s winter break soon, and there’s finally going to be time for Netflix and chill, read a book and chill, or whatever chill you like. My favourite way to enjoy the winter break is having some no-fuss homemade tasty treats with a mug of hot tea, while watching the snow pile down outside.

Here are some of the recipes for my favourite holiday treats. I’m a disaster in the kitchen, but these recipes are easy to follow.

By the way, stay around if you have dietary restrictions! Most of these treats are vegan and nut-free. Feel free to play around with the recipes as you wish—the beauty of DIY.

1. Chocolate-Peppermint Crispy Oreo Treats
Dairy-free, nut-free, optionally vegan

Step 1: Crush 14-15 mint Oreos or regular Oreos

• I usually just put the Oreos in a sandwich bag and take out my frustration on them until the cookies are crushed to bits
  • If you use regular Oreos, add ~1 tsp of peppermint extract for that minty goodness

*Oreos are vegan (yay!), but don’t research what ingredients they use instead.

Step 2: Melt ~1.5 cups chocolate chips or your favourite chocolate in a bowl

• Heat the bowl in the microwave in about two 30 second intervals, stirring vigorously after each heating until your chocolate is fully melted. Lick the chocolate off your spoon, and set the bowl aside.

*Enjoy Life offers some great vegan, gluten-free, nut-free chocolate chips

Step 3: Place ¼ cup margarine or oil in a medium-sized saucepan and melt

Step 4: Add ~1 cup marshmallows to the pan and stir

• Browse Her Campus uOttawa while you wait for the marshmallows to melt.

*Ricemellow Creme is a great vegan option

Step 5: Add 5 cups of crispy rice cereal and your crushed Oreos to the pan and stir until everything is one mixture

Step 6: Pour into a greased baking dish and press. Freeze for a crispy, crunchy heaven-in-your-mouth treat.

• Cut into squares after allowing to cool.

2. No-Bake Chocolate Macaroon Truffles
Vegan, nut-free

Step 1: Melt 2 cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate in medium-sized saucepan

Step 2: Whisk ¾ cup coconut milk into the chocolate

*Or normal milk, or almond milk, or goat milk, or any milk that exists.

Step 3: Stir in 1 tsp vanilla extract, 3 tsp maple syrup, and pinch of salt to taste

• Do what tastes good! We’re just having fun making treats. It’s not chemistry.
  • Make sure this is whisked really well, or else the mixture will clump up

Step 4: Scoop mixture into a bowl, and freeze for 30 mins. Break up any hard spots with a spoon, and freeze for another 30 mins until very firm

Step 5: Roll the stuff into your preferred size of balls and enjoy!

3. Gingerbread Cake in a Jar
Gluten-free, vegan, nut-free

Step 1: Add 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses to a ~4oz. jar

Step 2: Mix flours and add to jar

• 1.5 Tbsp brown rice flour
  • 1 Tbsp buckwheat flour (or sorghum or amaranth flour)

*You can also substitute with regular unbleached white flour.

• 1/8 tsp baking powder and a pinch of baking soda
  • 2 Tbsps ground raw sugar
  • 1/8 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
  • a generous pinch of cloves powder

Step 3: Add milk and oil to jar and mix well

• 2+ tsps coconut or almond milk or non dairy yogurt
  • 1 tsp oil (melted coconut or vegan butter or canola)

Step 4: Microwave for 35 to 45 seconds. Enjoy your cake!

4. No-Bake Peppermint Fudge
Nut-free

Step 1: Add ~1 cup of each: white chocolate chips, peppermint baking chips, and marshmallow creme to a mixing bowl

*I’ve also used Mentos and/or Tic Tacs for the peppermint.

Step 2: Line a baking dish with parchment paper, and set it aside

Step 3: Bring ½ cup butter (or margarine), ¾ cup heavy cream, 2 cups granulated sugar, and pinch of salt to boil in a medium-sized saucepan

• Boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly, and then remove from heat

Step 4: Whisk into bowl of mint and marshmallow until smooth, then pour into the baking dish

(Step 5 and 6 are optional)

Step 5: Melt 1 package vanilla Candiquik according to instructions, and cool for a few minutes

Step 6: Fold 3 cups mini peppermint marshmallows into the Candiquik and pour over the fudge. Add pieces of candy cane on top.

Step 7: Allow the fudge to set for 2-3 hours and enjoy!

5. Chai Spice Snickerdoodles
Vegan, nut-free

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C, and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper

Step 2: Mix topping ingredients in a dinner plate, and set aside

• ​¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ tsp ground (or very finely chopped) ginger
  • ¾ tsp ground cardamom
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of cloves

Step 3: Mix 3 Tbsps milk, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ cup oil, and 1 cup sugar until it resembles apple sauce, then add 2 tsps vanilla extract

Step 4: Mix in ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, and 2 cups flour until you get a flexible dough

• Your hands are the easiest tool, here, to get the dough right

Step 5: Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and pat into topping until you get ~2 inch disks

Step 6: Transfer to baking sheets sugar side up, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the bottoms are browned

Step 7: Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!

Sources: 

One Frugal Foodie, Vegan Richa, Oh She Glows, Shugary Sweets, The Post Punk Kitchen

Scarf collector and exotic foods connoisseur.  Toronto, uOttawa.