kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Debunking Fitness Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Having a cheat meal will make you lose all your progress

False. It’s impossible to be perfect all the time and it is 100% okay to indulge. In fact, it will make it easier to stick to your meal plan if you schedule in a cheat meal every week. That way when you decide you really really need to have an Oreo cookie you’ll only have a couple instead of the whole box. There is no need to feel guilty, having one cheat meal is not going to negate all the hours you have put in at the gym. You have totally earned it. 

Girls shouldn’t lift weights because it will make them bulky 

Nope. Girls don’t have enough testosterone in their bodies to make them huge like men. Unless you are spending eight hours at the gym everyday or doing steroids, ladies, you will not look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Lifting weights can actually help give you that ‘toned’ look. 

You can target where you lose fat 

Unfortunately, this isn’t true. Just like people gain weight in different areas people lose weight faster in different areas. If you are going hard at those glutes you will be developing muscles there but, the fat loss will come from your whole body not just one spot.

Your workout wasn’t hard enough if you aren’t sore the next day

Soreness is not a good indicator of workout effectiveness. Muscle soreness occurs when your muscles are made to do something they aren’t used to doing. Workout variation and increased weight are some changes that might cause muscle soreness. If you do 50 squats everyday the likelihood of being sore the next day is slim; however, if you do 100 squats one day instead, then you might feel it more later on. 

Cardio is the only way to lose weight

Thank goodness this isn’t true. While cardio is great for your heart and it does help in the weight loss area, it isn’t the only way to lose weight. Having more muscle mass results in a higher metabolism and therefore, will help you burn more calories at rest. The best way to lose weight is a combination of strength, cardio and healthy eating. 

Adrienne Graham

U Ottawa '22

Adrienne is a first year International Development and Globalization student in the French Immersion program. She enjoys binge watching TV shows on Netflix, trying out new coffee shops, and running. She is also an avid soccer fan with her favourite team being Liverpool FC. Her long term goals are to publish a novel and to travel to every continent while her short term goal is simply to enjoy every moment as it comes at her.