bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Coconut Oil: There’s More to It Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The idea of writing this article occurred spontaneously, following a session of hot yoga. Following our class, my friend, brother and I strolled into a nearby Shopper’s Drug Mart to purchase some coconut water. As my brother sipped away at his beverage, we somehow began an impassioned discussion about coconut oil, so here we are! T Without further ado, here are 10 miraculous and promising uses of coconut oil: 

1. Hair Mask 

As much as we want our faces to keep looking refreshed and rejuvenated, those with long locks also want to keep their hair looking silky and smooth. Instead of a face mask, try a hair mask made with coconut oil! Unlike most oils, coconut oil is a creamy solid at room temperature and can be used as a replacement for your conditioner. Apply to wet hair, let it sink in deep into your roots for 5 minutes, and then rinse. 

2. Buttering Your Toast 

This one is a personal favourite of mine. I swear by this alternative spread for your breakfast toast. It’s a healthier option than butter or margarine and it provides your taste buds with a sweet surprise and lends a lovely aroma to your toast. 

3. Make Homemade Soap (or Make-Up Remover) 

This tip actually was inspired by my friends and my Greek Civilization elective! In antiquity (well before soap was introduced) the Greeks would use oils, such as olive oils, as a way to remove excess dirt and grit. My friend highly suggests this for modern day usage, especially as a make-up remover! 

4. Coffee Creamer 

Ironically, I recently wrote a piece persuading cafe addicts to replace their coffee with a morning cup of tea. However, once in a while, coffee may be necessary or can be a treat that you indulge in every now and then. In replacement of high calorie coffee creamers, add some coconut oil for a creamy and sweet touch. Make sure your coffee is fairly hot before you add it to avoid unwanted unmelted clumps spoiling your beverage.   

5. Natural Throat Lozenge 
This is pretty self-explanatory. Typically, store-bought throat lozenges may contain artificial colours and flavours. Try swallowing ½ to 1 teaspoon of coconut oil up to 3 times a day to relieve a painful sore throat or persistent cough.

6. Breath Freshener 
You may not be carrying around a travel-size jar of coconut oil on the go. Before stepping outside your door to begin your day, hold a teaspoon or so of the oil in your mouth until it melts, swish it around a bit, then swallow or spit it out (whichever you prefer). It contains antibacterial properties, usefully flushing away odour-causing bacteria from your mouth. 

7. Lip Balm 

Using this oil as a lip moisturizer is one of its most conventional uses. Instead of getting an unpleasant waxy taste from your drug store lip balm, scoop some into a spare contact lens holder, throw it in your bag so it can be accessible to you at all times during your day! 

8. Under-Eye Cream 
Stick to your strict student budget and avoid spending unnecessary big bucks on costly eye creams, and substitute with coconut oil. The skin under your eyes is highly sensitive and susceptible to puffiness and dark circles. To resolve this unwanted problem, massage a pinch between your fingers, and gently pat the oil underneath your eyes. 

9. Natural Deodorant 
Fun fact: when you sweat and begin to get a little smelly, this is not your sweat that smells. It is actually the bacteria thriving on the surface of your skin that are generating unwanted odours. Coconut oil’s profound antibacterial properties make it a great candidate for a natural deodorant. Click here for a simple recipe to make your own DIY deodorant.

10. Body Oil 

In addition to lip balm, this oil also serves a conventional use as a body oil or full-body moisturizer. It is recommended to apply this luscious solid oil right after you hop out of the shower, so it can melt and soften into your warm skin. The irresistible texture and tropical scent will uplift your spirits (and confidence). 

SourceCover, 1, 2, 3, 45, 6

SaveSave