Vancouver Fashion Week Logo
Vancouver Fashion Week Logo
Ashley Stathis
Style

9 Up-and-Coming Designers to keep your eyes on from VFW FW21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

This year, Vancouver Fashion Week (VFW) digitally showcased designers from all over the world. Here are nine designers to keep an eye on from this special week:

CO-DE

Tanja Salem is a young and ambitious fashion designer from Germany who created her own brand CO-DE in early 2020. She takes inspiration from expressionism art and advocates for a more sustainable approach from a slow-fashion angle. Tanja Salem’s pieces are a great example of colour blocking.

LA FEMME ROJE

Rojan Hooshyar, founder of La Femme Roje, is an Iranian Canadian designer. Her collection was inspired by the strong women living in Iran, and her style is influenced by Iranian culture with a touch of modernity. What makes her a designer to keep an eye on? All of her pieces are vegan!

GUERLINE KAMP

Guerline Kamp was one of the most innovative designers at the event. Inspired by the culture of her birth-country, Haiti, Kamp created a collection made of 95% reused materials and objects. Her style is everything but minimalist and definitely stands out.

AY LELUM THE GOOD HOUSE OF DESIGN  

Aunalee and Sophia are the two sisters behind this Canadian ready-to-wear brand. Their three-part collection Eagle Spindle Whorl was primarily inspired by indigenous clothing patterns. Their goal is to create pieces for every body shape and every age. Fun fact: they also produce their own music and are even a verified artist on Spotify!

BLUE TAMBURIN

Blue Tamburin is a new Korean brand created by Bomin Kim that launched for the very first time during VFW! Her collection “Beautiful People, Beautiful Lives” brings back elements from the 30s with a classy and timeless twist. She is definitely a designer to keep an eye on during the next few years.

HARUMI HIYAMA

Coming straight from Japan, Harumi Hiyama’s collection is all about love, kindness, and flowery patterns. Her embroidery and simple designs seem to come from a modern cottage-core fairytale. It was also Harumi Hiyama’s first time at VFW!

MTTC

MTTC (Mariya Tamila Tkachenko Couture) is an Australian fashion brand that focuses on sustainable couture by reducing its waste production. However, the brand does not neglect the use of luxurious fabric in their unique pieces. MTTC is all about maintaining ethical practices—that’s what we want to see in 2021!

CÉDELAR

CÉDELAR is a new brand created in 2020 by founder Marie. The name of the brand is a play on “c’est de l’art,” which means “this is art” in French. Marie’s collection is light and refined, yet simple; and fashionable, yet affordable.

RYZYORYUAN

QIQIYUAN is the Chinese designer behind RYZYORYUAN, created in 2019. QIQIYUAN is the youngest fashion designer in China and has worked with countless celebrities. The brand revolves around “Daily Maximisation,” and could be described as slightly psychedelic. QIQIYUAN is definitely a young talent to watch over the next few years.

Discover more of the amazing designers at VFW FW21.

sustainable fashion support
Photo by Cherie Birkner from Unsplash

Just your average international student that happens to be a language fanatic!
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!