6 Ways to Save Money as a Student in Ottawa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Just as the World Health Organization (WHO) says: “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Two of the top factors on the health continuum are income and social economic status. Stress that comes from money, or lack of it, is a huge issue that people deal with on a daily basis.

Let’s face it, money is an issue that most students have. Not only do we have to be in school full time, but we have to cough up around $8,000 a year. We also have to manage to pay for books for two semesters. Don’t forget you also have to have a life and pay for food and stuff too. This is all considering you live at home. If you don’t, then internet, hydro, and rent are also some of your worries. Having a part time job definitely does help, but it couldn’t possibly pay for everything. You’ll be surprised by how much you can save, on almost everything in Ottawa, without going way out of your way. Read more to learn 6 ways you can save money!

Clothing

1. Free Store
The free store is on 647 King Edward Ave. They are always open and based on donation. Just walk in, and grab whatever you need. It is absolutely free! You can find anything from books, clothing, food containers, and many other items.

2. uOttawa Clothing Exchange/Sale Facebook Group
Recently booming, this is a Facebook group that allows you to buy and sell used clothing. Post an advertisement, contact a seller, and meet with them on campus between your classes! It’s that simple. Brand names like Lulu lemon, La Senza, and American Eagle are being sold. There’s no harm in switching out the clothes in your closet every once in a while, right?

Food
3. Laurier Social House/Warehouse
Dining in a restaurant has never been cheaper. I love that I can go into these restaurants and have a proper meal for $5.50. This includes a side of fries or a salad. They even have Oreo cheesecake and deep fried Mars bars. If that doesn’t make you want to run over there, I don’t know what will.

4. uOttawa Food Bank
The SFUO has a great food bank that is located right on campus in the basement of UCU in room 0015. They even provide cooking classes and free breakfast. Check out the website

5. Metro/Loblaws Student Discount on Tuesday
Metro, Loblaws, and Bulk Barn offer a 10% discount for students! Metro offers the discount on Tuesdays, Loblaws offers it on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Bulk Barn offers it on Wednesdays. Just flash your student card at check out and you should be good to go.

If you have your own neat money saving tricks, let us know on our Facebook page.

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5