This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Now a competitor with Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, TikTok is a fairly new short-form, video-sharing app that allows users to create and share 15-second videos on any topic. The TikTok app offers users a wide selection of sounds and song snippets, along with the option to add special effects and filters to your videos. With such features, TikTok users can create a variety of videos ranging from challenges, dances, magic tricks, and comedy skits.

Since its launch, TikTok’s popularity has been growing tremendously, especially because of the excessive free time and boredom people are experiencing in the pandemic. The app has reportedly amassed over 500 million monthly active users, with the US being its most popular country, where it has been downloaded over 80 million times. You may have even heard of some celebrities that have risen to fame through their TikTok videos including Charli and Dixie D’Amelio, Addison Rae, and members of the Sway House including Blake Gray, Josh Richards, and TikTok’s sweetheart Noah Beck. Even pre-existing celebrities have taken their fame to TikTok including Jason Derulo, David Dobrik, James Charles, and Jojo Siwa.

Someone dancing in front of the tik tok app
Photo by Amanda Vick from Unsplash

Although these celebrities have gained lots of attention on the app and have formed strong fan bases, Tiktok has recently introduced the TikTok Creator Fund to further support other creators in producing quality content. The US fund will start with $200 million to help support ambitious creators who are seeking opportunities to foster a livelihood through their innovative content. This fund will be distributed over the coming year and is expected to grow over that time. In order for creators to be considered for the fun, they must be 18 years or older, meet a baseline of 10K followers, have accrued at least 10K video views in the last 30 days, and post original content that does not violate the company’s community guidelines. With this fund promoting smaller—but still successful—creators, here are some TikTok creators that you should keep a close eye on:  

1. Brianna Ritter

One creator that’s less known but is still definitely someone to look out for is Brianna Ritter. Currently, she has 949.9K and is known for her cartoon drawings on everyday objects. Every day, she posts a new video drawing a new cartoon on her bedroom window including characters like Winnie the Pooh, Pluto, SpongeBob, Nemo and Dory, and Garfield. Recently, she has taken her talents to paint the keys of an old keyboard. It takes real talent to portray such detail on a small surface like the individual keys. Not only is Brianna super talented, but her videos are definitely very satisfying to watch.

2. Amelie Zilber

Another creator that is up and coming is Amelie Zilber, who has 4.8M followers on TikTok. Amelie posts videos that include political information, but also show off her stellar fashion sense. Currently, Amelie volunteers for the Biden campaign and is an educated citizen when it comes to political issues around the globe like voting. In her videos, she gives her viewers useful political information — for example, she posted a video on the top mistakes people make when filling out their absentee ballot. In addition to her videos that provoke political change, she also posts videos showcasing her stylish outfits, which personally inspires my fashion sense. Not only does Amelie have interesting content, but she is currently dating TikTok star Blake Gray, who is part of the Sway House.

3. Charlotte Looks

Lastly, Charlotte Looks is a TikTok creator that is definitely on the rise to fame. Currently holding 5.2 million followers at only 17 years old, Charlotte Looks is known for the creation of her bold makeup looks. It must take her hours to make one of her TikTok videos, as her face makeup is elaborate and detailed, and she even dresses up in costumes to really bring her looks to life. You should definitely check out her page, especially because Halloween is right around the corner and she has been making many intricate and spooky looks recently. I wouldn’t be surprised if she and James Charles do a collaboration in the near future!

Tiktok Account Screen & Plant
Photo by Hello I'm Nik from Unsplash

I am a second year Business Major from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.