This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ah, the freshman fifteen. The very real and very possible freshman fifteen indefinitely looms over the University of Michigan. Between the late night feta bread, Mojo cookies, and multiple No Thai restaurants around campus, it’s easy to let yourself go. Physical, mental, and emotional health are so important your first semester of college and shape how well you do in class. It’s overwhelming to go from your warm bed across the hall from your mom and her home cooked meals to a dorm bedroom and a dining hall – and you have to do your own laundry?! However, taking care of yourself and your health is the most important part of being successful in college. Luckily, we have a few tips to get you on track if you feel that you’re losing your way.

Find ways to be healthy in the dining hall & eat yourself happy. I know it may seem difficult, between all the French fries and sugary options, but I promise you it’s pretty easy to eat healthy. There will always be a salad bar and plenty of ways to make sure you’re eating enough protein and giving your body what it needs! If you’re going to go out to eat, try to pick a healthy option; it’s often easier to eat healthy at a restaurant then at the dining hall, so if you have the option to eat out, take advantage of it!

Drink a lot of water! Honestly, this is extremely underrated but it’s one of the best ways to keep yourself feeling your very best. I try to drink three 16-ounce bottles of water every single day, and I try to stick to clear liquids (like tea) when I’m not drinking water. This is one of the best ways to keep yourself healthy during your busy, college student life.

Find a workout buddy! This is one of my biggest tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle in college. It is proven you will be more motivated to get up and go for a run or go to the gym if you have somebody to go with. Additionally, it makes the time go way faster.

Find some time for yourself. If you’re always at the library doing homework and trying to find a second of your day to relax, you may be overdoing it. It’s always beneficial to find your own ways to wind down such as listening to music, taking a nap, or watching Netflix. By giving yourself some time to decompress, you’ll be more inclined to want to be productive once you’re refreshed.

Get enough sleep. I know this seems obvious and I am sure your mother has told you a million times, but it really is crucial to make sure you’re caught up on sleep! It can be so hard with everything going on, I understand – but trying to get eight hours of sleep every night, if possible, can totally change your outlook on your health.

Overall, the first semester of college is stressful and scary. It’s really easy to forget about your health, but it’s really important to make sure you’re on top of things. Take advantage of any opportunity to make choices so that you are the healthiest both mentally and physically that you can be.

Trust me, it’s worth it in the long run.

Images Courtesy of: Eli Rallo