Wellness

5 Great Self-Care Products Perfect for Midterms Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Self-care tends to be extremely hard to maintain, particularly for a college student who is constantly swarmed with what feels like a never ending to-do list of homework, extracurricular commitments, job applications, as well as more pleasurable social responsibilities that must be penciled in for the remaining hours of the day. Beyond that, maintaining self-care as a college student during midterms seems absolutely unthinkable, as it is easily deemed a method of procrastination, an excuse to avoid all responsibilities.

Self-care is so important for preserving one’s mental and physical health all the time. However, it is that much more consequential to prioritize during midterms when most people tend to be at their lowest physical and mental state to which tends to be at an all time low during midterms: intense, constant, and ubiquitous stress often accompanied by the common college cold, both of which makes it even harder to study. For this very reason, it is crucial that all college students take a second for themselves to reset, revitalize, and relax, even if it’s just for ten minutes immediately before going to bed. Trust me, you can spare the ten minutes; those six hundred seconds are not going affect your econ exam score in even the most minute way.

While self care is universally crucial to staying healthy, it is a highly personalized topic; what may be considered beneficial self-care for someone, may not be at all for another person. Here are just a few great self-care products that I recommend you test out as your study break this midterms season.

1. Glossier Face Duo

While face masks are possibly the most cliche form of self-care, they are actually very effective, valid forms of self-care, as they improve your mental health while also bettering your physical health by deep cleansing your skin. Not only that, but most face masks are supposed to be left on the skin for around 10-15 minutes, making them the perfect quick reset button to quickly click during midterms season. This Glossier duo is an amazing self-care focused face mask set, as both are designed to work in harmony to detoxify and hydrate your skin. Buy it here for $40.

2. Weighted blanket

Weighted blankets seem to be a new trend recently. For those who are unfamiliar with the products, weighted blankets are cotton blankets that are filled with beading for extra weight. They are said to promote relaxation and relieve stress through a unique weighted, warm, and massaging sensation. Weighted blankets are the epitome of self-care and are ideal for practicing self-care during midterms, because you can simply use them while you are getting your necessary beautyrest. While they are a little bit pricey, weighted blankets can double as your midterms relaxation method and a holiday present. Buy one here for $63.50.

3. Lavender Pillow Mist

Lavender is so often associated with relaxation and tranquility, and for good reason. It is composed of sedative properties that transmit messages to the nervous system to alleviate relaxation and produce a calming effect on the body. Not only that, but lavendar has been known to improve sleep quality as it increases slow wave sleep, which are instrumental for relaxing muscles. If it’s not obvious already, any lavender based product is impeccable for self-care, particularly this lavender pillow spray, which directs the plant’s soothing smell directly on your pillow, guaranteeing an unparalleled night sleep. Much like the weighted blanket, lavender pillow spray is an effortless way to practice self-care and it comes at an even cheaper price than the primer. Buy an excellent lavender, sage, and floral water mist here for $18.

4. Live Whale Planner

The Live Whale planner is an all-encompassing, versatile planner that is both productive and anxiety reducing. This planner will not only help you keep track of all of your to-dos during midterms, including a goal date countdown, a daily schedule, but it also has important sections to for self-reflection, such as a place to journal, to plan out your meals so that they remain healthy and eaten at a normal time (something that can often be deprioritizing during midterms), and a habit-tracker space to help break bad habits and reinforce good ones. Ultimately, this planner epitomizes a self-care themed midterms product, and you can find it here for $19.99.

5. Foot Massage Roller

This TheraFoot flow foot roll massager is designed to stimulate pressure points, soothe overworked, tired feet, and increase blood flow, which helps to improve both your physical and mental health. The product is cheap, portable, perfect for busy college students who are always on-the-go, and serves as a quick, revitalizing fix that will help cure all of your midterms worries; maybe not quite, but the product is a great massaging sensation for those in dire need of a massage, but don’t have the time or resources to dedicate to it. Get it here for $19.95.

Images courtesy of nicoledavis.is, amazon.com, urbanoutfitters.com, and bustle.com