5 Easy Ways to Stay Healthy This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We all know what winter semester entails: exams, applications, and praying that you don’t catch that nasty cold your roommate has. Unfortunately, living in the dorms, a house, or an apartment with a thousand different people doesn’t make this any easier. Luckily, there are a ton of easy ways to stay healthy this semester. 

1.  Wash your hands (a lot)

It’s so simple and seems so meaningless, but washing or purell-ing your hands as much as possible is key to staying healthy this winter. Just think about how many people have touched the handle on the door you just grabbed, or sat in the desk you’re currently sitting in…

2.  Hit up the gym

It feels impossible to drag yourself to the gym in the 15 degree whether, but it’s worth it. Not only does exercise relieve stress (which will totally help your mental health and GPA), but it’s proven to make you happier AND improve your immune system. Plus, you’ll totally be ready for spring break when that trip to Mexico rolls around.

3.  Sleep as much as you can

Of course students want to stay out with their friends till 3 a.m. or stay up all night cramming for their Orgo exam, but sleep is the most important thing to stay healthy. Studies say college students need nine hours of sleep every night (everyone is jealous if you actually sleep this much), but try not to average less than 7 each day.

4.  Water is your new best friend

Stay hydrated! Water is seriously a miracle-worker. It gives you energy, makes you feel full, and, on top of that, does miraculous things for that gross, dry winter skin everyone seems to deal with at least once throughout winter semester.  

5.  Remember to have fun

In order to stay healthy, both physically and mentally, you have to balance everything in your life. Whether your idea of a good time is a movie night with your friends, or going out to a big party, make sure you make time for it. Without something you enjoy in life, stress will go up, and your immune system will break down.

Images courtesy of: Giphy and alfit.com

Casey is a freshman at the University of Michigan. If she's not studying or working for her clubs, you can usually find her trying new restaurants with her friends, running through the Arb, or lying in bed watching One Tree Hill for the 4th time.