Your Guide to Practicing Yoga Without a Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going to a yoga class is a great way to learn and connect with a community. Classes offer the time and space we need to escape from our busy schedules, and tune into our minds and bodies. However, practicing at a yoga studio does come with a price tag. Whether you’re an experienced yogi or new to the mat, it’s no secret that studio classes are not cheap, especially when you’re practicing on a student budget. When money gets tight, it’s hard to justify spending upwards of $15 per class, plus the cost of transportation to and from the studio. 

Going to studio yoga classes on a daily basis is a luxury that, for many college students, just isn’t an option. However, this is no reason to stop practicing yoga altogether. The solution? Take your yoga practice home. Starting a home practice is easy to do, and while there are some drawbacks, practicing at home is a great way to keep yoga as a part of your daily life.

How to get started:

Getting started with your at-home yoga practice is easy! Here are some simple ways you can begin practicing without a studio:

1. Set aside time each day to dedicate to your practice. It doesn’t have to be for very long—you can even start with just 15 or 20 minutes each morning or evening. Find a time of day that works for you, and get into the habit of practicing during this time.
  2. Find a space to do your yoga. Maybe this is in your dorm room or common living space—it could even be at the campus gym or outdoors if the weather permits. All you need is an open space, your mat, and any other props (blocks, straps, blankets, etc.) to start practicing.
  3. Keep it simple. There’s no need to feel intimidated by the thought of getting yourself into complex poses. Start out by sticking with the basics: sun salutations, standing poses, inversions, twists, and meditation.
  4. Or not! One of the benefits of not attending a class? You make the rules. So have some fun with it, get creative and move in a way that feels good for your body.
  5. Utilize your resources. The internet is filled with yoga sequences and video classes for yogis, many of which are free!

The benefits:

1. You save money. Perhaps this is the most obvious benefit of all—practicing at home saves you the $15-20 you’d normally be spending on class passes.
  2. You save time. We all live busy lives, but with an at-home practice you don’t have to waste the 20 minutes or so driving to and from yoga. Your studio is wherever you want it to be: at home, in your backyard, in the dorm—all you need is a mat, some space and yourself!
  3. Practicing alone takes away the element of comparison. It’s human nature to compare ourselves to others. But when you practice at home, you have no one to impress or compare yourself to, allowing for a much more fulfilling experience.
  4. There’s no rush. You choose to practice in your own time, in your own space and in your own way.
  5. Increased self-awareness. When you practice alone, the focus is on you, and only you. You start to become more aware of things like your breath, physical sensations, and thought patterns.

The drawbacks:

1. A lack of incentive. Without the guidance of an instructor and structure of a class, it can be difficult to motivate yourself to practice regularly and to your fullest potential.
  2. It can be hard to carve out time in your day to practice. Unlike studio classes, there is no set time you have to be at class each day, so you might be more likely to skip practicing.
  3. You miss out on the connection and community aspect of practicing yoga with other like-minded people.

An at-home practice is a rewarding and inspiring hobby. Not only does it save you the time and money that studio classes require, but you get to choose when and how you practice. Get out your mat and start practicing!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Julia Ferreira

U Mass Amherst

My name is Julia Ferreira. I am a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, majoring in Communication with a minor in Spanish.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst