Wellness > Mental Health

You Want It? You Got It: A Beginner’s Guide to Manifestation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you want clear skin and good grades, keep reading. Kidding, kidding. 

Or am I?

You have the power to make these things happen — and so much more. It’s simple, really. All you have to do is manifest it. Whether you’re new to manifestation or a seasoned pro, I’ve got you covered with the latest and greatest tools for creating the reality that you desire.

So…What’s manifesting?

Manifestation is a practice that dates back centuries. It’s believed to have originated from Hinduism in the 2nd century B.C.E., and it eventually made its way to the West. Manifestation has become prevalent in Western culture in recent years, with new methods and uses for it come about, but its ancient Indian roots and traditions should be credited.

Manifesting is a means of investing your energy into an aspiration in order to achieve it. In other words, speaking something into existence. 

There are three key elements involved in manifesting: intention, thought, and action. Your success with manifestation relies heavily on each of these because it’s a practice that’s driven by your conscious effort. So, you get out what you put in.

Manifesting has no limits. Ask the universe for something, and you shall receive it. All you need is faith and patience — and a method. Anyone can manifest, but not everyone knows how.

I’m sold! How do I do it?

How don’t you do it? There are so many methods of manifestation to choose from. The most popular are the Law of Attraction and the Law of Assumption.

Both laws operate with the intention of shaping and transforming your reality into what you desire it to be. While the Law of Attraction aims to do so by attracting what you want, the Law of Assumption assumes that you already have it. The Law of Attraction encourages you to think and act in such a way that you’re able to attract. The Law of Assumption emphasizes behaving as if what you desire already exists and is already yours. 

Regardless of which method you choose to practice, there are universal manifesting techniques that I recommend everyone uses for the best results. 

One way of manifesting is through affirmations, which you’ve likely done before without even realizing it. Affirmations are positive statements you tell yourself in order to improve your self-image and reframe your thinking. They can also be used to manifest someone or something you desire. Affirmations include phrases like “what I am seeking is also seeking me” and “I am a magnet for miracles.”

Affirmations are integral to the success of your manifestations because the way you think about and view yourself plays a major role in it. 

Another common technique for manifesting is journaling. For example, you might have heard of The Husband List which was trending online recently. You write down the characteristics of your ideal partner and essentially manifest them into your life. Well, you can do this with more than just an S.O. What’s a goal you want to accomplish? Write about it in detail as if it’s going to or has already happened, and watch it do so. In manifesting, your words hold all the power.

13 going on 30 closet?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios

It’s also important to remember that manifestation requires you to be active in making your aspirations become realities. The universe isn’t your wishing well — you have to put in the work to see the results you desire. Let’s revisit manifesting clear skin and good grades. It’s not enough to simply want them. You should try out a new skincare routine and study hard. Do your part, and the universe will do its part, too. 

Last but certainly not least is to set an intention for your manifestation. Consider why you’re manifesting what you are and where you’re coming from. Think about how it might affect you and those in your life. A good rule of thumb is that if your intentions aren’t pure and positive, it might not be the right move.

Now that you know how to manifest, do it wisely.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Valerie Rizzo

U Mass Amherst '26

Hi, I'm Valerie! I'm a sophomore Nutrition major at UMass Amherst. Public Health in general is something I'm really passionate about, both physical and mental. I'm also a matcha fiend and love to shop way too much. Proof that women in STEM can do it all!