Wellness

Why Working Out is My Favorite Form of Stress Relief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a young adult and as a college student living through 2020, I encounter many stressors in my day-to-day life. While there are many ways to deal with the stresses of an impending deadline or current event, I find that some are healthier for me than others. Talking things out with a friend, playing with a pet, relaxing outdoors, and cooking are all excellent ways to reduce stress. However, working out has consistently proven itself to be the most enjoyable, rewarding, and effective way to relieve stress for me.

As soon as I start to feel the anxiety or dread that attaches itself to something stressful I am experiencing, I take a break from what I am doing and find a way to exercise. Stress can cause a lack of productivity or a decline in my quality of work. I’d rather return to my obligations or activities with a fresher mindset instead of trying to power through it when my brain is frazzled. In many ways, working out provides a similar sort of stress relief to a nap. It clears the head and resets the body.

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay
I think a major reason I prefer working out in a stressful situation is because of the way I feel during the workout and after. If I choose to sit on my bed and watch Netflix when I am stressed, there is so much time to overthink a situation. During a workout there is loud music distracting my thoughts and there is the physical exhaustion and (good) pain that I am trying to push through. Basically, my mind and body are doing so much to carry me through a run or through an ab-routine that I have no time to dwell on my anxieties! The workout itself is the physical manifestation of the stress. The cool-down period after exercise is the mental clarity moment.

No matter how difficult a workout is, the feeling I get after completing it is amazing. I feel accomplished for sticking it out through the whole thing and the soreness of my muscles is a reminder that my body is getting stronger. When I finish exercising, I feel productive and my problems don’t seem as daunting as before.

Kayla Bacon-Obstacle Course 3
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
I think another amazing thing about working out is that it can be combined with so many other stress reducers! I personally like talking things out with a friend while we both jog together outdoors. If there’s a dog involved on this jog, even better! There are so many creative ways to work out that anyone can find a form of fitness that helps them reduce stress. While high energy cardio and intense pilates calm me down the most, I have many friends and relatives that use yoga and various breathing exercises to help in their stress reduction! There’s no perfect method for relieving stress, but there are always different activities to try when you want to get your mind off of things.

I like to stay active and work on my strength because it makes me less afraid of my abilities and of the world. Fear often manifests itself into stress and it can be hard to overcome it sometimes. Working out is something that strengthens my body and mind and helps combat the small fears I encounter in my life.

Vera Gold

U Mass Amherst '23

Vera is a senior communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the Facebook Coordinator of her chapter and loves writing about digital media, beauty, and entertainment.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst