Why I’ve Been Feeling Extra Grateful Recently

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Gratitude can be especially difficult to practice at times when you feel as if nothing is going your way. However, recently it has been coming to me pretty easily. I often find myself reflecting on how grateful I am for the people in my life. In the past six months, I have found my support system growing, and it has been really amazing to have trustworthy people to talk to because that has not always been the case. I have come to realize that those who are with you through the toughest times and don’t give up on you will end up being in your life for a long time. I never expected to meet so many amazing people in college because it has always been difficult for me to open up to people. But I am so glad that I did decide to open up. I always look forward to coming back to UMass after a break or long weekend.

One of the main reasons I am grateful is because I think of how different of a person I was before college. I have told many people in my support system how quiet of a person I used to be, and they always tell me that I never seemed quiet to them because they just met me in the past six months or year. I have really started to open up and come out of my shell, and it has led me to create memories that I never even expected to create. I am sure I will continue to make more memories and express even more gratitude up until the end of sophomore year.

Practicing gratitude has led me to become a more positive person overall. I find myself having an amazing time with friends and not always thinking in a negative way. For example, I used to put a lot of academic pressure on myself to be the “perfect student.” I now understand that there is no such thing as the perfect student. Sometimes it is okay to accept that I am doing enough and to not stress about every little grade. As a result, I am able to make time to practice self-care, go to the gym, and spend quality time with friends and family. 

My goal within the next few weeks is to start a gratitude journal. This can be a wonderful add-on to my self-care routine because it will allow for further self-reflection. 

Some prompts that I can use for the journal include: 

1. What about your upbringing are you most grateful for?
  2. What were your 3 best days? Write a small paragraph about each day.
  3. What friends are you most grateful for having? List what makes each friend special.

These prompts are relevant because one of the main aspects of my life that I am grateful for is my current friends. I think writing is a good way to express feelings such as appreciation.

So next time you are also feeling extra grateful, make sure to ask yourself: what would I write in my gratitude journal?

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.