Wellness > Mental Health

What I Mean When I Say I Want to ✨Live✨: The Answer to Disconnecting in a Socially Stimulating World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We live in a world where social media connects us with people worldwide and makes our lives more accessible. But it also makes it harder for us to focus on what’s happening right before us. When we’re constantly connected through our devices, it becomes harder for us to enjoy the moment and make lasting memories. 

What do I mean when I say I want to “live?”

“Living” is a state of being. It’s a way of life, an attitude, and a state of mind. Living is about experiencing life fully, taking risks, and being present in each moment. 

The answer to disconnecting in a socially stimulating world.

The answer to disconnecting in a socially stimulating world is simply being present.

The problem with social media is that it can make you feel like you’re missing out on something. We constantly scroll through our feeds and see all these exciting events and trips, and then we start thinking about how much fun others must be having — and maybe even wish we were there with them. If this sounds familiar, take comfort: I’ve been there too! And while it’s easy for me (and probably for most people) to get sucked into this kind of thinking with regard to our own lives and relationships, it doesn’t actually benefit anyone involved. According to Readers Digest, there is actually a thing called social comparison.“One 2017 University of Pittsburgh study found that heavy social media use can lead to a nine percent increase in the risk of depression.”

Instead of getting caught up in what other people are doing or not doing with their lives, let’s focus instead on doing our best at whatever we decide upon as our priorities at any given moment. We shouldn’t spend most of our time scrolling through social media or looking down at our phones because it can impact our mental health.

According to Forbes“the average person spent 4.8 hours a day on their mobile phone last year — covering one-third of waking hours and up 30% from 2019.” This has only increased after the COVID-19 pandemic. Do you see where I’m going with this? It’s not just about cutting out our phones (although that’s a good start); it’s about disconnecting from our virtual worlds to reconnect with what matters most: our loved ones, passions, and ourselves. And I know it can be hard to disconnect sometimes.

It is a necessity to have alone time sometimes for your mental health. I do enjoy spending time with friends on occasion — but I prefer to spend most of my time by myself, whether it’s working on a project or just reading a book with no distractions (like those annoying TikTok notifications). Everyone needs space and quiet in order to recharge their batteries after being exposed to too much stimulation from their surroundings or people around them; otherwise, they’ll get tired quickly and feel drained emotionally. This goes for our phones too. 

How would someone whose life is attached to social media take steps away from it from time to time? There are ways to separate yourself from others and social media without cutting them out completely.

The world has been moving at such a fast pace lately, and it can feel like we’re always behind on everything, whether it’s school, work, or everyday life. But it is essential to slow down and check in with ourselves and others when needed. It may sound hard enough to do a social media cleanse, but knowing how much work goes into achieving that goal can help put things into perspective so we don’t get overwhelmed by a lack of phone use (and end up giving up).

You can set boundaries while using your phone by limiting your use before going to bed and before waking up in the morning. It will be challenging to keep away from your phone, especially when notifications are proven to give us a shot of serotonin each time it pops up on our screens. Still, it would be best to turn off all notifications from your socials when you do decide to do a social media cleanse.

Here are some other tips:

• Give yourself a limited amount of time to stay connected on social media: whether it’s 30-45 minutes of scrolling and catching up.
  • Have an accountability partner: make sure to tell a friend or family you want to spend less time on your phone; having someone check in on you will definitely help so you’re not alone. 
  • Out of sight, out of mind: When placing your phone to the side or in your drawer, you are less likely (sort of) to reach for it and use it. Make sure you have a place to put your phone so you can focus on the task at hand.
  • App blockers: You can also download apps that can mute all notifications or distractions of your apps while using your phone to make necessary calls or send out emails or texts. Some apps are BeTimeful, Hold, and Your Hour (which helps with social media addiction).

By disconnecting from our phones for even short periods of time, like during meals or during downtime on weekends, we can learn to appreciate small moments in our lives again instead of just letting them pass by without notice.

• Prioritize your time by doing the things you love: hobbies, activities, self dates. 
  • Prioritize one to three tasks every day: These can be small to big goals you want to accomplish.
  • Don’t feel like you need to respond immediately when someone texts or calls you, especially if it’s something trivial and can wait until later in the day or even tomorrow.
  • Do the 10-10-10 Mindfulness Practice: 10 pages of reading, 10 minutes of meditation, and 10 minutes of journaling to clear your mind. 
  • Hang out with friends and family. 

So, as you can see, there are so many benefits to disconnecting from your phone. Not only will it help you to live in the moment and enjoy yourself more, but it will also improve your mental health by giving you some time away from social media. And if that’s not enough reason to disconnect from technology once in a while, then I don’t know what is!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Diamond Smith

U Mass Amherst '23

A dreamer, storyteller, and DEI advocate for the UMASS Her Campus Chapter. Dedicated to advancing the cause of mental health advocacy, championing social justice, and fostering meaningful social connections.