The Top 4 Healthy and Delicious Drinks to Add to Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You’ve likely heard to not “drink your calories,” which is sound advice when considering zero nutrient drinks like soda and milkshakes. But there are some drinks that have a one-up on water in the nutrient, electrolyte, and deliciousness departments.

Fruit and Vegetable Juice

We are all aware that fruits and vegetables are good for your health, but we also know it can be difficult to get in the recommended five to nine servings daily. Though whole fruits and vegetables provide a more nutritious advantage, thanks to their fiber content and antioxidant density, juicing fits in well with a balanced diet. A six ounce portion is all you need to get the health benefits but keep sugar content under control.

Fresh-pressed is always best, but if that’s not an option, look for a bottled juice with no added sugars. Mix to try: carrot, apple, beet, spinach, and celery!

Fit tip: A glass of tart cherry juice after a workout can help improve recovery time.

Smoothies

Smoothies are another easy (and delicious!) way to get in your fruit and vegetable servings. They are great for busy mornings when you need a meal on-the-go or want a blended meal replacement. And with a wide variety of ingredients to choose from – fruits, veggies, milks, protein powders, and nut butters – you’ll never get bored coming up with new creations!

My personal favorite: coconut milk, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, a few handfuls of spinach, 1 scoop protein powder, ¼ avocado, and a tablespoon of cocoa powder.

Coconut Water

The all-natural way to stay hydrated during intense workouts! Coconut water is the best alternative to sports drinks, because it has less sugar, fewer calories, no artificial flavors or dyes, and a similar electrolyte profile than the processed sports drinks. One study even found that coconut water hydrates you better than water or sports drinks post-workout and causes less nausea and fullness.

Low Fat Chocolate Milk

Besides being a great source of calcium and other minerals, low-fat chocolate milk provides the perfect balance of carbs and protein necessary for speedy muscle recovery after a workout. This “poor-man’s recovery drink” is just as effective as other protein supplements or carb and protein balanced meals at helping sore muscles to recover. An eight ounce serving is all you need to get the benefits!

Stick to drinking it only after a workout to keep your sugar intake under control. Sugar is great after a workout to help replenish those diminished glycogen stores, but it’s not very helpful at other times of the day.

Drink up, Collegiettes!

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst