Summer Slimdown: 5 New Fitness Classes to Try This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Summer is right around the corner, which means you may be frequenting the gym in order to reveal your best “bikini body.” But you can only ride the elliptical for so long before it starts to get boring and you stop seeing results. Start having fun with your fitness and try one of these hot new fitness classes this summer!

Zumba:

Yes, Zumba’s been around for a while, but its popularity is growing rapidly. And for good reason – it’s the workout that doesn’t feel like a workout! If you dread traditional workouts of push-ups, squats, and HIIT intervals, this is your alternative. Classes are described as “fitness parties” with easy-to-follow Latin dance and hip-hop choreography that provide a total body workout. And don’t worry if you’re not coordinated or can’t “shake your hips” like the instructor – it’s perfectly okay to just move to the music however it moves you!

SoulCycle:

This is not your typical Spinning® class! The unique atmosphere will make the 45 minute class fly by. Low lighting, perfect “pump-you-up” music, highly motivating instructors, and intense rides provide that “dance-party” feel that will have you hooked! Plus, the incorporation of weights will give you a full-body workout every time. SoulCycle wants you to “find your soul,” promising that classes will allow you to let loose, clear your head, and empower yourself.

TRX Suspension Training:

Whether you’re an athlete or an average gym-goer, the TRX Suspension Trainer will improve both your fitness and your body. This system leverages gravity and uses your own body weight to perform hundreds of exercises to build a rock-solid core and muscular endurance. You’ll be challenged, but all moves are scalable to be made easier. A total-body workout, TRX will boost your metabolism, improve your heart and lungs, and sculpt defined muscles in just a few short weeks!

CrossFit:

Add some variety to your fitness – Olympic lifting, gymnastics, rowing, tire-flipping, running, and rope-climbing are just some of the moves you’ll be doing. You’ll train in all areas of fitness (strength, agility, power, speed, endurance, balance, coordination, accuracy, flexibility, and stamina) to get optimal results. Classes are typically one hour and include a warm-up, skill development session, the Workout of the Day (or WOD), and stretch. The group atmosphere encourages competition, so let out your inner athlete!

INSANITY:

Use your body to build a better body! The “hardest workout ever put on DVD” is coming to you LIVE. This intense class puts a spin on traditional HIIT workouts, incorporating aerobic, plyometrics, and resistance moves to provide insane results. It’s challenging, yes, but don’t let the name scare you! There are low-impact modifications for every move and the instructors are more enthusiastic and less “scary” than creator Shaun T who often doubles as a drill sergeant on the DVDs. Tip: Tighten your core and remember to breathe!

Sweat it out, Collegiettes! 

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst