Overcoming Gym-timidation: Getting My Body Moving at School Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I have never been an athletic person, so getting myself to the gym has never been easy. I constantly feel like I am entering a place where I simply do not belong. I don’t know how to work the machines and I don’t typically have a set routine. I found myself coming up with excuses, blaming my school work or tiredness in order to avoid the gym. I soon realized it wasn’t sustainable for me to not be moving my body while at school, and I needed to confront this gym-timidation, or intimidation of the gym. 

I cannot say exactly what got me to finally go to the recreation center on campus, but I do know that ever since I did, I started to feel myself becoming more comfortable day by day. The first time I decided to go workout, I went with a friend of mine which provided me with a sense of security. I knew that if I went with someone else, I could rely on them to help me figure out where to go and what to do. It allowed me to relax and just enjoy the time I spent at the gym. 

Another thing that helped me overcome my fear of the rec center was telling myself that no one was expecting me to do anything specific. Meaning, I could go to the gym, walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes, and leave. There was no need for me to pressure myself into doing an hour-long intensive workout. Simply going to the gym and moving my body was enough. I personally found that doing a mix of walking and running on the treadmill was perfect for me (until I work my way up to trying out new equipment). 

body images 2019 07 27 725 joyride session 02 26jpg?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

One part of the rec center that helps motivate me to ensure that I actually end up at the gym are the group fitness classes. Making sure that I sign up in advance for a spin or yoga class prevents me from canceling at the last minute. In addition, group fitness classes fill the room with an immense amount of positive energy and support. Everyone pushes themselves and each other throughout the classes, and it provides a sense of community that you do not find in other areas of the rec center. Big shoutout to our HC members who teach group fitness classes! I have personally attended Meg Buschini’s spin class and every time without fail I leave feeling empowered and better than before. 

Ultimately, gym-timidation is real, especially on a college campus. Allow yourself time to overcome the scary feeling of going to the gym, and when you’re ready, get yourself back in there because I guarantee you will not regret it!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hannah Whalen

U Mass Amherst '23

Hannah is a junior at UMass Amherst majoring in History and Psychology in hopes of eventually starting a career in education. Most of her article topics will include lifestyle, but she will also incorporate a little bit of everything. Some hobbies that she enjoys outside of Her Campus include: hiking with her dog Mac, reading, finding new music, and yoga!