An Open Letter to a Friend Suffering from Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hey you,

Above all else, I just want you to know how much I love you and that I’m always here to support you, no matter what. Depression is such a tricky thing, I don’t think you really understand the depth of it unless you’re forced to deal with it yourself. So I want to start off by saying, no, I don’t necessarily completely understand what you’re going through, or why, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care.

I know there are days where you won’t want to get out of bed, or you won’t want to go to class, or work, or really do anything – and that’s fine. I won’t try and force you to do anything you don’t feel up to doing, but just know, as soon as you’re feeling better, I’m ready when you are. If you just need someone to come over to listen and cuddle, I’m your girl. I promise to never make you feel like you’re not trying hard enough, or tell you just to “buck up” and carry on. I understand that you’re dealing with a lot, and it’s not just something you can push to the side and ignore. That being said, I’ll still encourage you to keep a positive outlook on life, because life is such a beautiful thing and you should always remember that, even when times are tough.

I want to remind you that we’re all on your side. All of your friends and family, we just want to see you as happy and healthy as possible, because at the end of the day, that’s what matters most. You are such an incredibly strong and brave individual who deserves the world. I am so proud to know you and have you in my life, and so many people feel the same way, so don’t you dare let anyone get you down. You have a beautiful smile that the world deserves to see. Always remember how amazing you are and that if you put your mind towards anything, you can achieve your dreams.

I know that you’ll have good days and bad days, but I hope that with some help, the good days outnumber the bad days. Know that you aren’t alone in this fight; we’re all here to listen and help you through. And just know, I’ve always got your back.

Image: 1

Jill Kuzeja

U Mass Amherst

UMass senior, equestrian, and lover of all things Disney.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst