michelle tsang 1rqk6XVnw44 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
michelle tsang 1rqk6XVnw44 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

My Grandma’s Not-So-Secret Secret Recipe (And Why It’s Important)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For as long as I can remember, my grandma has made her signature brownies.

At every birthday party, holiday dinner, and backyard barbecue, there were a plate of brownies on the table at dessert.

I always thought they were a super special, super secret recipe that was finely honed and would one day be passed down to myself and my cousins. It turns out that I was partially correct. I would eventually know the recipe.

My grandma’s super secret brownie recipe is the Ghirardelli box mix that she sprinkles some powder sugar on top of so it looks fancy. Revolutionary, I know.

a hand mixer in brownie batter
PublicDomainPictures

It’s a very simple recipe. But in it, there is a deeper meaning that I see resonate through my family. All of my cousins look forward to this simple plate at every family event. When the party ends, my grandma always makes sure to package up the leftovers and dole them out to us to take home.

(Pro tip: put the brownies in the fridge and let them harden a little before eating them. Trust me, it’s amazing!)

But no matter what’s going on in the world, the brownies were always a staple on the table. Racing to get one after the candles are blown out is like a tradition and one that I treasure. They’re not overly complicated and can be made fairly quickly. You can eat them all in one sitting (which I have ZERO experience doing by the way!) or stretch them out for a week. You can share them with your loved ones and know that each person will be able to enjoy them. They’re an easy conversation and a special memory that I treasure.

The simplest food on the table is the best one in this case, and something that you never want to stop eating. Knowing the work my grandma puts in makes them so special. And while her other recipes are amazing (homemade soda bread and fudge? yes please!), this easy dessert is shareable and perfect for a family getting together for an occasion.

I always treasure having them with my family and spending time with them. However, this holiday season was different. Because of social distancing, I wasn’t able to see her for Thanksgiving. But when I finally did? She had a plate of brownies just for me.

And they were the best batch I’ve ever had.

brownies
Photo by iMattSmart from Unsplash

Mima’s Brownies (The Recipe):

Step 1: Go to Costco

Step 2: Buy a box of Ghirardelli Brownie Mix (make sure it’s the one with chocolate chips!)

Step 3: Follow directions on box

Step 4: Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of finished brownies

Elizabeth began writing for HerCampus in Spring 2021 and is currently a Sophomore Political Science major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Elizabeth is a member of the Delta Mu Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega and an intern with MASSPIRG. She is interested in foreign policy and the world at large.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst