A Letter to Reluctant Runners: My First 5K Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear Reluctant Runners,

I’ve been there.

I remember scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed as I usually – ahem, always do when I have homework to do. Sandwiched between a new relationship status and a hilarious link was a rainbow-clad event page. Curious, I clicked on it: ‘Chasing Color 5K.’

I cringed and my stomach flipped. I started reading through the description and many comments. I hate to admit it, but I was intimidated. I was convinced that I would never run a race because, well, I couldn’t. With the prodding of a friend and the promise of a Bueno y Sano gift certificate (which I lost along the race route) I made my $5 donation and registered.

Two weeks. What a deadline! I had no idea where to start. I was never a runner. Hell, walking my 130-pound German shepherd knocked me out! But I pulled myself out of bed the next day and trudged – through the rain, no less – to the Rec Center. I tried to convince myself that the weather was a sign to turn back. I kept going.

I hopped on the treadmill. I was walking and, soon, running. The first two minutes- alright, let’s be real. The first ten minutes! Those were brutal. But with some help from Iggy and Rihanna, I kept going. Before I knew it, two weeks had gone by. I was beyond elated. A ten minute mile? Me?

The weather that day was miserable. And, despite my successes, my subconscious was itching for an excuse to bow out. I didn’t let it win. I made my way to Kendrick Park and was one with the herd. Those first ten minutes? I’m not going to lie. They were an obstacle – and a half! But I endured. As I made my way over that first hill, I heard my text message tone. I pulled my phone out (huffing and puffing, of course) and read a ‘good luck’ text.

It was then that I realized it. I didn’t need luck. I needed my determination and commitment. I slipped the phone into my pocket, held my head high and continued on through the drizzle. As I crossed the neon finish line, I couldn’t help but smile. 

If my first 5K experience taught me anything, it’s that I can do everything I set my mind to. If you haven’t done it, do it! As I ran, the insecurities and doubts that held me back were picked up and carried away by the whipping wind… along with my Bueno gift certificate. But my confidence and pride were tucked safely away and that is, well, priceless.

Brilee Weaver

U Mass Amherst

Brilee is a Journalism and Storytelling double-major from Oxford, Massachusetts.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst