I’ve Been Journaling Since the End of 2020. Here’s Why You Should Too.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Journaling is something I have been seeing slowly but surely become somewhat of a trend. All over TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest, you can find prompts about anything and everything. As we all know, a lot happened in 2020; there were a lot of things to process, thoughts to be sorted, and feelings to feel. I was having trouble clarifying the jumbled-up mess of thoughts in my head and decided to give it a shot in early December. 

Does anyone else start their New Year’s resolution before January 1 because once you think of it, it doesn’t make sense to wait? No? Just me? Okay.

new years resolution no resolution
Pexels

I started with finding a cute journal. I had a bunch of blank ones that accumulated over the years, waiting to be used, so picking one of those seemed to be the move. I ended up picking one my mom made — shoutout mom! No lines, a cute geometric cover, and I only use blue pen. (Couldn’t tell you why.)

Prompts didn’t seem like the route I wanted to take. So instead, I did one page, almost every day of “I am” statements. For a whole page, I wrote positive affirmations about myself that I believed or wanted to believe. And let me tell you, it worked. I let it all out for those five minutes of writing, and after some consistency, I got really comfortable doing it and finding enough positive things about myself to fill the whole page. 

A sample of some things you could find in my journal would be something like: “I am smart. I am kind. I am strong. I am beautiful. I love life. I am fit. I am working on _____. I forgive those who hurt me. I am healthy. I am happy. I have purpose. I am worthy. I am deserving of all good in my life.” I know it sounds pretty cheesy and maybe even ridiculous, but it helps to know (and see) that there is so much positive in my life! 

marble and pink notebook
Plush Design Studio

This worked for a while! But then it got stale, I definitely don’t ever force myself to journal every day. I wanted it to be something I wanted to do. So when it felt like a chore, I didn’t do it. Simple. Now, as of recently,  I prompt myself better with 3 things: “I am” (and then I list like above), “I am grateful for,” and “I am working on.” It’s a great way to check-in with myself while still being a little creative and have fun with it, and I’m not making myself fill up a whole page aimlessly anymore. This has been a good revitalization of journaling. While I still am not doing it every day, I am working on it because I know it makes me feel better whether it’s right before bed, in the morning, or during the day! 

Here are some tips in case you want to get started:

• Keep it near your bed or on your desk. You are much more likely to grab it if it’s out and about where you can see it. 

• Pick a journal and pen you like. For me, being consistent with the same pen is weirdly satisfying, and cute journals are always a plus!

• If it starts to feel like a chore, take a break. Enough said.

• Lastly, let yourself believe your affirmations. Until you believe you’re absolutely amazing and deserving of every good thing in your life — no matter how big or small — others won’t and it will be a true teller of how you treat yourself and let others treat you. 

XO, and happy journaling!

Rebecca Girshik

U Mass Amherst '22

Rebecca is member of HC as a senior OIM major! When she's not writing articles she's cooking, online shopping, hanging out with friends (+dogs), or staying active with her fam!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst