This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re feeling pressure to be proactive, positive, or even happy all the time, you don’t need to.  Let go of the unrealistic expectations you may be struggling to fulfill.  We are living in very unusual and stressful times at the moment. Things are uncertain right now, and it’s completely okay to feel upset, confused, and even unmotivated. You’re allowed to feel how you feel, and you don’t need to be at your prime functionality all the time, even in the absence of a world pandemic occurring.

If it’s your fourth day in a row of not wearing a bra or real pants, that’s okay!  If your only date in the last six months has been with Netflix and a glass of wine (or two), wonderful! If you haven’t been as productive as usual or you’re not feeling motivated, I can assure you the feeling is mutual among many people.  

Woman laying down on a couch covered in a blanket.
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Sometimes getting out of bed and having breakfast in the morning is a successful day. There’s no scale or guidelines to follow. Let yourself just be – give yourself the time and space to feel, cope, and adjust to the situation. You will be motivated again, you will be productive again, and I promise, you will feel like your positive, happy self again.

Life is full of highs and lows, but we can’t force ourselves into high moments all the time. Sometimes we need to ride out the lows and take care of ourselves so that we can feel our best when the high moments come around.

girl taking bubble bath while looking at landscape
Roberto Nickson

Indulge in the uncertainty we’re experiencing. There may not be a clear path or direction right now, and you shouldn’t try to find one — you’ll be expending lots of valuable time and energy. It will come to you when the time is right. For now, enjoy your time not knowing and not needing to strive for perfection. Let go of the reins, savor your time with loved ones, spend the day in your pajamas if you want, have breakfast for dinner — do things that make you feel good and let this time be about savoring life, rather than trying to have everything figured out.

Focus on the good in life, the people around you, and the opportunities that life has to offer, and let yourself rest and enjoy the journey. If you’re not feeling normal right now, that’s completely understandable. Things will be okay again, and you will be okay again. Take care of yourself and allow yourself this time to just be without setting high expectations. Open up to the idea that you can find good in your current situation, whether it be a break from your busy routine, more time for your loved ones, time to pursue your passions, or even an opportunity to start something amazing of your own.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

“Life is all about balance. You don’t always need to be getting stuff done. Sometimes it’s perfectly okay, and absolutely necessary, to shut down, kick back, and do nothing.” – Lori Deschene. 

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst