friends + i in portland
friends + i in portland
Original photo by Angela Baily
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This year has been really hard. Not only has it been hard, but it genuinely seems like the universe has been finding every possible way to challenge us, right? From the very first minute of 2020, I have personally felt a pressure at every moment coming from different sources, and it’s been tough to learn to balance the stress out in the structure of life. There are so many things we have all experienced collectively, and many more that we’ve had to fight through on our own but honestly, I think that we’ll look back on 2020 as hell, but also as a learning experience. We have learned to lose, to fight, and to struggle.

We were lucky at the beginning and got 2 whole months of school and fun before everything went downhill and everyone really began fearing the virus. Remember when we thought it was gonna be a 2-week thing! HA those were the days. Obviously it turned from 2 weeks to 2 months of missed school then UMass was like SIKE! You’re not coming back in September either. At first, I was content with the idea of online school for a semester. Like many other students, I really thought all the self-study and recorded classes would be a breeze. Luckily, I squeezed out of the semester exactly on the last add/drop date and was refunded my tuition. RIGHT CHOICE. I know for a fact I would’ve been in a terrible place academically and emotionally right now if I had continued on my original path. Now, I’m cruising through the semester happy, healthy and still busy.

HCM Design

I was very worried when I first chose to withdraw for the semester. This meant no school, nothing to do, wasted time. I hate wasting time. I spent the first week brainstorming what to do with my now-free schedule, and I decided the best thing I could do was refill it. There are 2 key things I did to do this.

1. Find something I really loved doing

I vowed to make one of my focuses finding something I loved to do. I started this by just doing art, which I’ve always enjoyed and that really just turned into me exploring the whole world of arts and crafts! My past few months have been a kaleidoscope of yarns and thread and paint as I spent hours each day working on something new. Check out my article on clothing embroidery to get a feel for something new I tried! At this point, I’ve basically spent all of my money, but that’s okay because of my next point…

me wearing final appa hoodie
Original photo by Kira Tosi

2. Work, work, work

I love to keep busy, and something I learned over the summer is that working is one of the best ways to keep busy while also being productive, having fun, and making money! Now I have 3 jobs, a couple free days a week, and the funds to keep me crafty :) If you’re planning on taking a semester off, soooo many places are still hiring. I just started a new job at J.Crew last week and I’m really loving it. Plus, writing for Her Campus has been such a fantastic experience for me this semester and given me that soothing feeling of work due but without as much pressure!

This year has been really tough for everyone, but taking this semester off has to have been one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself. Not only have I had the opportunity to get more work experience and test out my skills in all sorts of crafts, but I’ve been able to travel with friends, spend more time with my family, and learn how to successfully survive a long-distance relationship! It hasn’t been easy, but I’m so grateful for the growth that I have achieved during this questionable time. Live on, stay healthy, and keep breathing through this post-election – America will pull through! #bidenharris2020

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

Kira Tosi

U Mass Amherst '23

Kira Tosi is a sophomore at U Mass Amherst, and an Italian Studies major. She grew up in a Russian family which sparked her passion for language, culture, and traveling. Follow along to hear about her crazy experiences around the world and potentially see pictures of her bunnies!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst