self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

How Quarantine Has Taught Me About Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Today we are living in a new reality that we have never experienced before. Due to COVID-19, so many of us have left our schools and our jobs in order to social distance. Now a typical day consists of not leaving the house, unless for essential items, and trying to find new meaning while confined to our homes. Like so many others I miss the normal activities that I used to do. Now, after my school work is done and the weekend approaches I’ve struggled adjusting to my new routine at home and finding things to do because there are only so many romantic comedies to watch before even that results in boredom.

While sitting at home trying to find the best way to make the best out of our new reality, I realized that there is no better time to practice self-care and learn about self love. For many of us, this is the first time where we have had to take a step back from our busy lives. Most of us are so accustomed to juggling various tasks at once, from work, to school, to social life, that we simply don’t know what to do when our lives are put on hold.

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash

However, I have realized that with so much free time this could be a chance for me to take time for myself. I have realized that I can take advantage of this time to recharge and plan my goals for when we return to normal. With so much free time, I have begun exploring various interests that I have never had the time or the energy to do before. Due to social distancing restrictions, I have taken up past times like meditation and journaling. I have always wanted to find a place for meditating and writing in my normal routine, but I was always too busy to make it a priority. Now, after having the time to try both of these activities I have realized how effective they can be when combatting stress and enhancing self-empowerment.

Meditation is especially useful today while we are living in a time of uncertainty. After beginning to meditate I have realized how beneficial meditation can be to improve one’s mental health and ease anxiety. Journaling has taught me how powerful writing can be to reflect on yourself and your goals. I was so used to keeping track of my life and my schedule in my head, until I realized how much easier it is to interpret your thoughts and reflect on your stresses by writing them down. By putting pen to paper and bringing your ideas to life it is much easier to reflect and look back on things you may have otherwise forgotten.

marble and pink notebook
Plush Design Studio

What I have learned is that now is the perfect time to try different activities to improve your self love whether that be through meditation, journaling, or something completely different. By practicing self-care now and figuring out what works for you, you can take advantage of these practices once we all return to our busy lives. In the meantime, learning to cope with stress and learning different techniques is extremely valuable in any stage of life.  

Natalie Samson is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Communication Studies and Public Relations. When she is not wandering around campus she spends her time scrolling through Pinterest or drinking chai lattes.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst