Wellness > Mental Health

How Meditation With a Gratitude Focus Can Create a Positive Headspace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

During times of uncertainty and abrupt change, it’s more necessary than ever to take care of our mental health. It can be hard to balance the new wave of online academics, staying at home, purposely avoiding other people, and putting plans on hold. When it seems like the entire world is panicking, it can be difficult to find peace and a reason to stay positive. However, with the simple practice of meditation, you can help keep your spirits high.

The secret key to unlocking high spirits via meditation is gratitude.

Gratitude is one thing that can help us get through this quarantine era.

Girls in the sunset
Photo by Jude Beck on Unsplash
I personally began the practice of meditation with a gratitude focus when I chose it for my Health Behavior Change Project for my PUBHLTH 160 class this semester. Mental health affects your physical health greatly. Stress and anxiety can lead to a weakened immune system (definitely not what we want during a pandemic!), lessened serotonin production, higher blood pressure, muscle tension, and headaches. Stress and anxiety can also distract you from the task of maintaining your academic routine. Negativity can darken your mood, making you not want to do anything but stay in bed all day. This is why it’s important to nurture a positive headspace! Having one will make it easier to take care of your health and your priorities as a student and family member at home.

Meditation does not have to be fancy or intensely scheduled. You can set aside any time you have to meditate and find things to be grateful for. For me, it’s most convenient to clear my head and practice gratitude just before going to sleep. However, you can do it sitting in bed before breakfast in the morning, sitting in the living room in the afternoon, or any time at all! What’s important is that it is done each day and brings you a sense of calm.

Bedroom Bulb Interior Decoration Lamp
Burst / Pexels

The things you are grateful for should come to mind easily. Focus on the little things in life before zooming out to bigger things. Some things you can be grateful for are the way the sun shines in through the windows, the sound of birds outside, your family, your pets, your friends, Netflix…the list goes on!

By focusing on the things in life that make us happy to live each day, the way we look at things will change. Positivity isn’t just contained within yourself. A positive mindset affects the way you interact with others and can perhaps inspire them to live positively as well. When the world is going through something terrible, remind yourself that not all hope is lost. Remind yourself that there are so many things to be grateful for. Clear your head, take a deep breath, and live positively one day at a time.

All images are courtesy of the HerCampus Media Library

Vera Gold

U Mass Amherst '23

Vera is a senior communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the Facebook Coordinator of her chapter and loves writing about digital media, beauty, and entertainment.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst