view of Quabbin walking trail with mountains
Sophia Apteker
Wellness > Health

How I Have Learned to Love Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Love” and “Running” are not usually two words that you hear in the same sentence. Running is a full-body workout, usually leading to breathlessness, blistered feet, sore legs, and cramping; so, it is understandable why people don’t constantly put their bodies through this voluntarily. As a long-time runner, both competitively racing in high school, and casually now as a “hobby jogger,” I have experienced the ups, downs, and in-betweens of running. However, more recently, I have really started to appreciate running not only as a form of physical activity but for the mental clarity it brings me.

As I mentioned, I used to run competitively in cross country, indoor, and outdoor track in high school. I enjoyed that time; however, the purpose of running then was to go as fast as I could, beat my time, and support my team. After graduating high school, I kept running but without having a race to train for, or a consistent practice schedule. It was definitely an adjustment to the laid-back life of a “hobby jogger.” Yet, with time, I really started to love it. Not looking at my watch every minute to make sure I am going at a good pace, no pressure of an upcoming race or qualifying time, and walking when I feel like it and not feeling guilty about it. These are all things I didn’t realize came with changing my perspective on running and taking it a little less seriously.

Three years later, after not competitively running, I have mastered “hobby jogging.” I sometimes don’t even wear a watch, if my legs are tired I go as slow as I want, and sometimes I sit on a bench in the middle of my run for 5 minutes if I feel like it. I am still getting physical activity but embracing the freedom of listening to my body rather than pushing through to maximize my workout.

Yet, one of the most impactful reasons I have learned to love running is the time it gives me during the day with the only option to focus on myself. When I am out on a run, it is usually just me, listening to some music or a podcast, and deep in my thoughts. When else in your day do you get 30 minutes to do that? There is no phone or computer for me to look at, no work for me to do, and nowhere I have to go. I just get the time on my run to think about my day, look forward to future plans, or destress from a busy afternoon. This mental liberation is the reason I have learned to love running.

autumn leaves on a dirt road
Natalie Szewczyk

No matter how you destress or recap your days, it is important to take the time for yourself. Running doesn’t have to be for you, you could walk instead, or just find a quiet place to sit. However, I found that carving out a little time just for myself during my day, without my phone, without helping other people, and without worrying about the next thing on my to-do list, can really turn my day around.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Hershelman

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia is a Senior and this is her fourth semester being a part of Her Campus. She is a Microbiology and French double major. In her free time she loves hanging out with family, going for walks with her dogs, and working out.