This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We all have wounds that exist at the fault of others. They could be from our childhood, past relationships, life experiences and so on. Regardless of the situation, it is often not our own doing. Healing those wounds, however, is our responsibility. We owe it not only to ourselves to be freed from these painful marks on our soul and to move forward lighter, but also to the people we interact with and love. Healing is a long and ongoing process, and it means something different to everyone. At its core, its becoming aware of the roots of your suffering and transforming it into something beautiful, such as inner peace, love, knowledge, or power. It is your journey to decide. It is the most powerful act of self love you can do.

Love yourself written on wall
Photo by Nicole De Khors from Burst/Shopify

I would argue that healing is not one big, final moment, but rather an accumulation of little ones. Yes, a lot of healing is big, heavy, and often ugly work–sitting with painful emotions, processing them out with a therapist or friend, letting tears flow. However, once you open yourself up and set out to patch up those wounds, you begin to catch little glimmers of healing among the in-between moments of your everyday life. It becomes embedded into your days and does some of the heavy lifting of healing for you. You may not realize it in the moment, but in hindsight you see growth and become closer to mending. Here are some examples that I’ve seen in my life, and maybe you’ve seen in yours, too:

It is seeing a person at a grocery store who has previously caused you harm and still, maybe unexpectedly, feeling centered and calm.

It is a brownie you ate at ten in the morning simply because you wanted it, and not feeling guilt or shame.

It is becoming aware of your inner turbulence and taking a deep breath before you respond to a frustrating comment.

It is allowing yourself to skip your workout today (and even tomorrow) because you listened to your body and knew it was in need of a break. 

It is being open and honest with yourself and others about your feelings when you may be used to holding back.

It is saying “no” to something you don’t want to do or give your energy to.

It is letting go of something that is no longer serving you.

And if you were to have a different or less positive reaction in any of these situations, it does not take away from your healing or how far you have come in your journey. As I said previously, it is on going. It is something we may be doing for our whole lives, and is definitely not linear. But it is worth it and there is power in the resilience of continuing forward, even when it feels challenging.  

The heavy work of healing holds a lot of value, but these little moments that may go unnoticed are filled with just as much power and growth too. Open your eyes to them, celebrate them, cherish them. 

Rumi once said: “The wound is the place where the light enters you.” Let the light in and celebrate all of the in-between moments that it shines upon. 

Woman at the beach at sunset
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pixabay

Meghan Buschini

U Mass Amherst '22

Meghan is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Communications with a minor in Sociology. She is a spin instructor and is passionate about mindfulness, meditation, body acceptance and self love. She shares these passions both through her articles and her instagram account @mindfulmeg_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst