How Going to Rec Spin Altered My Brain Chemistry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you told me five months ago that spin class was going to be an integral part of my life in college, I would have laughed in your face because I didn’t believe you at all. I won’t call myself a gym rat, because I am possibly the furthest thing from that. I’ve always found ways to stay on top of my fitness game through other means, years of dancing, regularly going on hikes and treks, and the occasional gym session. After coming to college, it became harder to continue these activities, leaving me with no choice but to pick up a routine at the gym. 

The first time I went for a spin class at the Rec Center was last semester (Fall 2022), after a couple of my friends from class couldn’t stop raving about the experience. My roommate and I signed up for a 1-hour standard Recreation Spin class (on a side note – UMass offers a lot of other free classes that are absolutely incredible!). The vibes in the room were so good, there was strobe lighting and good music. That class changed our lives, to say the least. We went again the next week, with even more of our friends, and the week after that, and every week after that for the rest of the semester. I couldn’t tell if it was the supportive environment, the perfectly synchronized dances, or the adrenaline rush from exercising, but I loved going to spin and it had become a part of my daily life slowly and steadily. 

After coming back to UMass this semester, I went through the rush process for a sorority, and one of my closest friends in the sorority and my Big currently (shoutout Claire!) invited me to come to spin with her as a bonding activity. It turned into a regular thing where we went to spin at least once a week together or once every two weeks, every memory associated with spin has always been a happy one. Recently, I went to Samira’s spin class and absolutely loved it, the energy in that room was on fire and I felt so good after the workout. 

Ultimately, I think spin has been a part of some of my biggest moments freshman year, and hopefully will continue to be even after I become a spin instructor next semester. Spin helped me get back into the groove and enjoy working out as much as I do right now, and for that, it will always hold a special place in my heart!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Ashna Jain

U Mass Amherst '26

Ashna is a sophomore Economics and Mathematics double major at Umass Amherst. In her free time, you can find her watching Gilmore Girls, hanging out with her friends or taking a spin class! She is also a peer advisor for the department of Economics and a member of Tri Sigma National Sorority.