Fact or Fiction: Myths of Diet and Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are so many different ideas online about what exactly is true about diet and exercise that it’s hard to decide what to believe and what to not believe.  Here are 8 of the most common myths about diet and exercise and the truths behind them!

1. Lactic acid is what causes muscle soreness:

While lactic acid is produced for a short period of time, it is actually the microscopic muscle tears that cause muscle fatigue.

2. Skipping meals is an easy way to lose weight:

Skipping meals causes the body to go into a starvation mode and while some weight may be lost, it may come right back because it will slow down your metabolism.

3. Carbs should be avoided:

Carbohydrates do not add excess fat, extra calories do. In moderation, carbs are good, especially for those who do aerobic exercise.

4. Gym memberships are necessary to work out and lose weight

There are several options for working out that do not involve a gym membership, such as taking hikes or exercising outside.

5. Do not consume any food after 8pm:

While there may be some support behind this due to people’s activity levels at various parts of the day, calories are digested the same at night as they are during the day. This also depends on what kind of food is being eaten. Healthy snacks are always good!

6. Spot exercising works:

Targeting one area of the body does not show evidence to work. Rather, an overall body exercise works best.

7. All fats are bad and shouldn’t be consumed:

Fats generally get a bad name from the title alone, they just sound bad! But, some fats are good for the body and should be consumed. Consider “good” fats such as those in fish or avocados.

8. The machines at the gym display the correct number of calories burned:

The machines at the gym have a calorie count that is generally off by around 15%.

Stay fit and healthy, Collegiettes!

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst