Baking Away My Problems: Why Making Sweet Treats in the Kitchen Helps Me Relax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

My love for baking began with cupcakes. What started as binge-watching Cupcake Wars with my mom has now turned into becoming the designated cake baker on every birthday. Although I am a very busy person, I always find time in my day to bake someone a sweet treat. Planning the perfect cake and frosting combo, watching the cupcakes rise in the oven, piping on frosting, and of course, creating simple, yet professional-looking decorations are what I get excited for. Better yet, I actually find it very relaxing to shop for ingredients, bake, and of course enjoy them later.

From years of experience in the kitchen I have mastered finding the best, yet simplest recipes, which helps with managing my time. Nothing gets me more excited than a holiday, birthday, or just a random weekend when I get to do some baking. The sweet smells in the kitchen, the warmth of the oven, and my dad and brothers sneaking tastes when I’m not looking all contribute to the good vibes of baking.

Over the years I have done many experiments in the kitchen. Cake, cupcakes, brownies, cookies, bread — I’ve tried them all, and some have definitely worked better than others. At this point, I have my go-to recipes for each type of dessert and then alter them as I need. I always make cakes, cupcakes, and cookies from scratch. I refuse to use boxed cake mix or canned frosting for someone’s birthday celebration. Now don’t get me wrong, I still think a Duncan Hines Devil Food Cake from the box is delicious; my mom used to make it for me for my birthday every year. However, homemade cake is always better — and I always try to make the best when I am serving the people I love. (Side note: I do prefer box brownies, so never make those by scratch).

To be honest, the whole organization of baking is so satisfying to me. I do some prep work, put the treats in the oven, clean as things cook and cool, then decorate to my liking, all of which gets to be enjoyed later by eating something yummy. Either way, mixing together some ingredients and popping them in the oven will always brighten my day. There is just something about baking that always seems to make me happier. Maybe it reminds me of watching my mom bake or gets me excited for an upcoming holiday or celebration; all I know is that it calms me down and lifts my mood.

Some people meditate, some people work out, and some people rant to their friends. These are all valid ways to cope with stress, some of which I also use myself. However, my favorite way to relax is to bake. Whether it is the day before Thanksgiving or just a rainy day, I will always be in a good mood in the kitchen. And the best part, of course, is that when you are done, you have a bunch of delicious treats to enjoy on your own or with the people around you.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Hershelman

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia is a Senior and this is her fourth semester being a part of Her Campus. She is a Microbiology and French double major. In her free time she loves hanging out with family, going for walks with her dogs, and working out.