kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Alternatives To Your Morning Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Can’t get your day started until you’ve had your morning cup of coffee (or three)? I feel ya! But if you’re bored with that plain ol’ cup of joe or are trying to cut down on your caffeine intake, here are a few alternatives to coffee that will give you a boost of energy to power you through your day.

1. Green Tea

Green tea is the smart alternative if you prefer a warm beverage in the morning. It has less caffeine than coffee, so you still get the energy boost, but without any of the jitters. In addition, green tea is chock full of catechins, which are powerful antioxidants and potent disease fighters.

2. Chai Tea

This aromatic beverage, made with rich black tea, milk, and a blend of spices: cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, clove, nutmeg, Chinese star anise, fennel and cardamom, will stimulate your senses and wake you up. These spices are considered “sattvic” according to Ayurvedic philosophy, which means they have a calming, vitalizing, and mental clarifying effect.

3. Chia Seeds

Yes, the same seeds of the ch-ch-ch-chia pet are edible (not to mention delicious). A staple in the diets of ancient Aztecs and Mayans, the chia seed was their preferred fuel before heading into battle to boost energy and increase stamina. Reap the same benefits for yourself by sprinkling 2 tbsp over your morning yogurt, mixing them into oatmeal, or blending them into a fruit smoothie.

4. Green Juice

You know that eating your greens is good for your health, but you get more than just a hefty dose of nutrients in a glass of juiced greens – you also get a long-lasting energy boost from their alkalinizing nature. Juice a mix of carrots, green apples, beets, cucumber, and baby spinach for a sweet and revitalizing start to your day, or mix a handful of leafy greens into a fruit smoothie.

5. Shakeology

Created by Beachbody (aka the company behind workouts P90X, Insanity, TurboFire and more), this shake is touted as “the healthiest meal of the day”- and for good reason! Packed with more than 70 exotic superfoods, Shakeology will give you a burst of natural energy that lasts all day. Simply mix with water, milk, or blend into a fruit smoothie for a delicious and nutritious alternative to coffee.

6. Carob Powder

Caffeine-free carob powder (which is similar in taste to cocoa powder) provides the same stimulation as coffee but without all of the jittery side-effects. And with bonus benefits such as regulating digestion, regulating blood glucose, and lowering cholesterol, you can feel good about a little indulgence! Carob powder can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, or warm milk for a hot cocoa alternative.

7. Yoga

Okay, so it’s not a drink, but you still get the same stimulating benefits! Yoga is all about the breathing, which delivers more oxygen to your lungs to wake you up and clear the (literal) “fuzz” in your brain fascia from your sleep. And, unlike coffee, this energy boost lasts all day, so you can channel that into productivity and accomplish more throughout the day. Even just doing some sun salutations upon waking can have the same benefits.

Stay energized, Collegiettes!

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst