This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Waking up sucks, and the fact that it is getting colder outside doesn’t help motivate an early start. A good start is SO important for a great day, however. If you wake up late and in a frantic mess, this stressed mentality will carry with you, whether you realize it or not. So… here are a few tricks to help jumpstart your morning!

1. Have An AMAZING Breakfast

Whether we like to admit it or not, food is a huge motivator. If you’re even the slightest bit hungry when you wake up and have a great breakfast in the near future you will be more likely to, by seeing the reward of food, get up. It’s not exactly the same as rewarding a dog for a good trick but sort of! Hey, it works though!

2. Don’t Be Cold

Getting up really sucks when it is freezing in your room. Who would want to get out of a comfortable place and into a cold one? As temperatures are dropping with winter approaching, make sure you have your windows closed when needed and your thermostat regulated to what is comfortable for you. Or if you don’t have heat, a good pair of fuzzy socks is great too!

3. Keep Your Alarm Set For The Same Time Every Day

If you are having trouble getting up or even going to sleep, it may be due to a disrupted sleep cycle. Sleep is a really weird thing if you think about it, while there is not that much known about sleep, what we do know is that the sleep cycle shouldn’t be messed with. Try to get accustomed to the same start time and your body will naturally adjust to it. You will even find you don’t need an alarm after a while.

4. Fun Days Are Worth Waking For

When you are nervous before a big test or event it’s difficult to sleep because you are so focused on what is to come. This is also true when something really fun is going to happen the next day, like if you’re going to a huge party or have a hot date! Even though it may prevent you from sleeping, it will help you wake up. In other words, it helps if you have something to look forward to or need to accomplish daily. This is a general rule of life: “Do something daily you’re excited or nervous about.”

5. Don’t Drink Too Much Before You Go To Sleep

This does not need to really be elaborated on, ladies, but alcoholic or not, you’re either going to wake up several times during the night or very hung over the next morning so try to limit liquids before tucking in.

Sleep tight, collegiettes!

Oriana Schneps

U Mass Amherst

Live in Cambridge MA! Love scuba diving and horseback riding. I am a undergraduate student at UMass Amherst majoring in Hotel and Tourism Management and Biology. You can contact me at OSchneps@UMass.edu
Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.