Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Top 5 Activities to Do In and Around Orono This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

A chill is in the air and the leaves are starting to change, which can only mean one thing… fall is finally here! If online classes have got you feeling stuck, here are some great ways to get outside and get into the spirit of spooky season. Check out my top 5 favorite things to do during my favorite season in Maine!

Go for a hike at Acadia National Park

Only an hour away from campus, Acadia National Park is one of the best places to see all of the beauty that Maine has to offer. Acadia offers a variety of hiking trails for people of all skill levels. If hiking isn’t your thing, you can always go leaf-peeping along the Park Loop Road or check out the coastal scenery on Sand Beach. Some of my favorite hikes include Beehive and Precipice, which feature iron rungs to climb up the side of the mountain and some of the best views of the park. After your trip, be sure to head into Bar Harbor for some good eats and shopping!

Visit Treworgy Family Orchard

Located in Levant- about twenty minutes from Orono- Treworgy Family Orchard offers a ton of fun fall activities. The farm has pick-your-own apples and pumpkins during the fall, so you can continue to support local businesses. They also have an award-winning corn maze for you and some friends to explore, either during the day or at night! The farm also has a small petting zoo, cafe, and ice cream shop for all your essential fall treats. Treworgy offers tours of the orchard on horse-drawn wagons and has some of the best apple cider donuts around!

Go for a walk at Bangor City Forest

If you’re looking for an activity that is a bit more local, look no further than the Bangor City Forest. The forest features over 10 miles of trails for you to walk and bike on. These trails make for an easy walk and even allows for your dogs to join you! One of my favorite trails is the Orono Bog Boardwalk, which features a quarter mile of wooden platforms to walk on and learn more about the Orono Bog. This place makes for the perfect quick trip to enjoy the fall weather!

Carve Pumpkins

Whether you hand-picked it from a farm or just got it from the local Walmart, carving pumpkins is an essential fall activity. If you’re looking for a way to spice up your balcony or front porch this fall, jack-o-lanterns are the way to do it! You can even grab a couple of friends and make a whole day out of it. And if carving isn’t your thing, you can try painting mini pumpkins to add some fun, personalized fall decor to any space!

Bake some sweet fall treats

One of the best parts of picking your own fall fruits or vegetables is all the things you can make with them! Whether it’s a homemade pumpkin pie or a sweet apple crisp, baking fall treats are the perfect way to warm up as the weather starts to turn. And if you’re like me and don’t consider yourself a good baker, you can always pick up some premade Halloween cookies to enjoy as you watch some of your favorite scary movies

And there you have it! If you’re looking for something to do this fall and want to get into the spirit of things, be sure to check out any one of these great activities that are nearby! Fall is one of the best seasons, especially in Maine, so be sure to enjoy it while it’s here!

Senior Communication and Media Studies double major with a minor in Professional Writing at the University of Maine. I’m also the President of Women's Club Volleyball, Vice President of the my school's chapter of the National Communication Honor Society Lambda Pi Eta, and Sergeant at Arms for Umaine Student Government.