There’s Always Time to Workout and Stay Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Staying physically active throughout the school year isn’t easy at times as we all know. Yet, there are simple solutions to keepyourself healthy and fit that doesn’t take much time out of your daily schedule. All I’m saying is to set 25 minutes aside five to six days a week. It’s really that simple. Obviously everyone’s body is different and what you put into it is also a huge factor to your body’s overall health. As college students we are at the age now where we know which foods are good for our bodies and which are not. Along with that comes with portion size. Try to balance your diet properly with fruits, veggies, protein and carbs. Keep in mind when you’re working out that carbs aren’t your enemy. It’s just all about finding the right balance.I want to make this as to the point as possible. Alright. So… If you think you could shed a few pounds or get more tone this is the article for you.

Girls are constantly saying to me that they don’t know what to do at the gym or just don’t have time to go. Well perfect. I am positive that you can set aside a minimum of 25 minutes a day to put some work in. No excuses, get off the couch and go to the gym, or even do it from home.  It is all about getting into a routine. Grab a friend to do it with you to give you some motivation.You can put down the Netflix for 25 minutes a day to start feeling healthier and get more fit. When you get into a routine of putting fitness into your life (which we all should be doing) it becomes a habit, just like brushing your teeth before you go to bed. UMaine has one of the nicest recreation facilities in the country and should be used to student’s’ advantage. For me I like to run, but for others not so much. That’s totally fine. That is  where quick and easy interval workouts come into play. Just ten minutes of going hard on the treadmill canshow the same results as simply jogging for an hour.

• Jog for 1 min – sprint for 1 min ( do this for 10 minutes at a pace where you are pushing yourself). Also if you like running try to incorporate a few miles of running a week, or try a hill workout, stadiums, or even doing some sprints at the track.

These are just some ideas for a 15-minute workout to give it a try. They are quick and easy and show results if you keep up with the workouts. I cannot stress enough how important a routine is to get into. Once you get into this routine of working out you will start to have more energy throughout the day and even more motivation to do other things. Basically you will be kicking ass completing tasks as well as feeling better about yourself!

Images: 1, 2

Current Student at the University of Maine, Orono going into her third year. Majoring in Journalism with a minor in New Media, concentration on photojournalism.   Grace is from Stoneham, a suburb outside Boston, Massachusetts. She originally was enticed by the University as a recruit for the track and field team. Now she is on her third year competing for the varsity team.  ​ Grace has a passion for journalism because she believes there is always a story to be told and a voice to be heard on a subject matter. Without people expressing their own voice change can never be made.  
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.