Profile: Jillian Lary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

With track season just around the corner, meet Jillian Lary!

The Basics

Name: Jillian Lary

Hometown: Hopkinton, Massachusetts

Relationship status: Doritos

Sign: “Proceed with Caution”

Twitter: @jillay123

Insta: @jillian.lary

Campus Involvement

Year: Senior kinda

Major: Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Psychology minor

Campus Involvement: I am a captain on the Maine Track & Field team, I throw hammer, weight and discus. I am a co-president of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. I am involved with student government and Black Bear Catholic and I am also a Huddle leader for Fellowship of Christian Athletes. I occasionally work as an EMT for UVAC and I lifeguard at the rec, as well as many more exciting things.

Bests

Best place to meet people at UMaine: Rec Center track

Best professor: Linda Yelland, RIP (Retired in Peace) and Bruce Pratt because of his dedication to UMaine athletics and education.

Best Friends: Jesus, my mom and dad, Bella, my Ave tribe Cath, Berg, Peez and Liv, throws squad, Pat Cogs, rough 10, Luds, anyone who gets a paycheck from the roost.

Best Place to study: Those double decker desks in the library. I’ve never sat in one or even seen them but I bet they’re cool!

Favorites

Favorite pump up song: Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (Coldplay vs. Swedish House Mafia) give it a listen

Favorite song to dance to: Semi Charmed Life- Third Eye Blind

Favorite spot in Orono: Fam Dog patio in the fall with live music and/or a baseball game on the big screen, fire pit roarin’ with a double scoop of the Confused Dog in one hand and a beer in the other. Go Sox!

Favorite Class: KPE 265 (Outdoor Adventure Activities w/ Jesse Kaye-Schiess)

Or’s

Coffee or Rush? Pre-workout

Roost or Brew? The only brew I like is beer

Book or Movie? Matt Damon

Spring or Fall? Fall

Do you have advice for younger students? Oh do I ever!!! Get involved in as many things as possible, but don’t spread yourself too thin. Find real friends. Call home. Be single and learn to love yourself FIRST. Exercise and eat well. Have fun but be professional when you need to be. Go to class and utilize the career center early and often. Be confident and take full advantage of all the university has to offer, these will be the best days of your life, buckle up!

Any goals for your last semester? I’ll get back to you when it actually is my last semester #VictoryLap

What are you most looking forward to this semester? Finishing out my athletic career with a bang. Watching some of my best friends walk across the stage to receive their diploma and knowing that I still have 365 days until it’s me walking that stage.

Calen is a fourth year Mass Communications major with a Marketing minor and a Psychology minor at the University of Maine. She is a sister of Alpha Phi and enjoys hiking at home in the Rocky Mountains, traveling, reading, and spending time with family and friends.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.