Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness

Ideas to Stay Active during Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

If you had or still are having a hard time staying active during quarantine, you’re not the only one. I wanted to write this piece to share some of my tips and favorite ways to get moving while at home (because let’s face it, sitting at a computer all day without moving at least once is not ideal). 

LET’S GET MOVING!!

Quick Workout videos on Youtube

This has been one of my favorite ways to take a break from screens and get active. There is an abundance of 5, 10, and 20-minute workouts all over Youtube by some great trainers. However, having an abundance of them can sometimes be overwhelming, so here are some of my favorite channels for when I want to sweat!

MadFit – Her videos always go straight into the workout and will leave you feeling so accomplished! Workouts range from beginner to high intensity. 

Pamala Reif – I love her videos for when I’m looking for a workout longer than 20 minutes. She also has a lot of really fun dance workout videos! I won’t lie, you might feel pretty silly at first when trying one of these dance workouts, but you’ll finish it in a WAY better mood. 

Meggan Grubb- My all-time FAVORITE. She has plenty of videos on youtube and her IGTV on Instagram, I love her HIIT videos!! She is also great for if you have access to a gym and feel comfortable going! Don’t forget your mask ;)

Walks

When have you ever returned from a walk regretting it? Never! Walks are a great way to get your body moving and to stretch out after sitting for hours on end. Did you know that just 30 minutes of walking every day can increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess weight, and boost muscle power and endurance?? What a relaxing way to stay active and reap so many benefits! Bring along your music or just take in the sounds of nature :). Even better, grab a friend to join you for a socially distanced walk and get to chat while being active!

(if you feel like it, feel free to turn your walk into a jog or a run if you’re looking for more of a challenge!)

Hiking

Who doesn’t want to get active while taking in some beautiful scenery? Hiking can make a workout not even feel like one! If you’re looking for some inspiration of where to go, check out these destinations:

Bangor City Forest: Features 9 miles of trails for running, hiking, biking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing (and it’s dog friendly!).

Walden-Parke Preserve: This preserve contains large beaver wetlands and several additional habitat types including hardwood and softwood forests in varying stages of maturity, vernal pools, and a portion of Caribou Bog. The well-marked Blue Trail forms an easy-to-walk loop about 2 1/2 miles long. Pets on a leash are welcome!

Of course, Acadia!! A bit of a longer drive, but there are so many trails to choose from, and you won’t even be thinking about how much you’re sweating because of the stunning views.

Just Standing

Sometimes moving your body can be as easy as just standing up – try to reduce your time sitting by standing up whenever possible. One should aim to interrupt sitting and reclining time every 30 minutes. Consider setting up a standing desk by using a high table or stacking a pile of books or other materials, to continue working while standing.  This might not sound ideal, but your body will thank you!

Video Games

Still have your old Wii system laying around? Activity video games like those from Wii, Kinect, and Dance Dance Revolution can help you get your heart rate up while staying at home. There are also many options for “exergames” that simulate dancing, skateboarding, soccer, bowling, or tennis. These can be great replacements if you aren’t able to do these activities as you normally would, and let’s face it, these are SO MUCH fun.

Whatever you choose, make sure that you enjoy it!!! These are just some of my favorite ways to stay active while at home, but remember anything that gets your heart rate up or just adds extra movement to your day counts! :)

I'm a junior at the University of Maine studying Psychology & Kinesiology, and I currently work as a personal trainer. I love all things fitness, health, and love learning more to better mental wellness in myself and those around me. I enjoy hiking, music, and anything fall related (always down for a scary movie)!!