kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

November is the month of being thankful, but it’s important to be grateful every month of the year. An easy way to do that would to just think about what your grateful for everyday, but writing it down is another super easy way to practice gratitude that is more constructive.

Keeping a gratitude log in a journal or just on a piece of printer paper can help you keep the positive things in your life in perspective. Especially if you are vulnerable to depression, anxiety, or any other mental illnesses, you may fall into the trap of believing that there is nothing good left in your life. Having a list can remind you that those thoughts are not true and can help you feel more hopeful.

A positive mind leads to a positive life. Before going to bed every day, instead of wallowing in regrets and other negative thoughts, you can pull out your gratitude log, see what you had already written down, and think of all the other things you’re grateful for.

The format of a gratitude log is super simple and can be made to fit your style and needs. It can be as basic or as elaborate as you want it to be, but the best thing about it is that it’s completely personal and individual. There’s no pressure and no need to make it perfect, it’s sole purpose is a place for you to list the things you’re grateful for.

Personally, I draw a simple yet decorative border for the title, and I list one thing each night that I am grateful for that particular day. That way, I can also reflect on my day and focus on the positive parts of it. Some may set a goal to list two or three things everyday, while others may focus on trying to come up with one thing every other day, but it all depends on the individual.

Coming up with things you’re grateful for may seem like a simple task, but after a while it may prove to be harder than it seems. Using my method, you can reflect on your day and ask yourself these questions…

• What or who made you smile today?

• What or who made you feel safe today?

• What or who made you laugh today?

• Who did you spend time with today?

• Did you take any time for yourself today? What did you do?

• Did something not go your way today? What made you feel better?

• What or who gave you hope today?

• What about today has been better than yesterday?

• What’s the weather like today, and what’s one good thing about that?

While repeating things is totally acceptable, try to come up with something unique for each day. Another way to keep a gratitude log is to think about your life as a whole, rather than focusing on the day, and you can come up with a lot more ideas that way. Some questions you can ask yourself are…

• What song always boosts your mood?

• What are your favorite things about each season?

• Who can you always count on to make you smile?

• Who can you count on to always be a shoulder to cry on?

• What or who has made you the person you are today?

• What are your favorite things in nature?

• What scents make you feel safe and happy?

• What’s your happy place?

• How has technology made a positive impact on your life?

• What’s something you’ve witnessed that helped remind you that people are good?

• What are your favorite simple pleasures?

• What are your guilty pleasures?

• What’s the most beautiful thing you’ve seen or heard recently?

• What’s the kindest thing someone has done for you lately?

• What’ your favorite thing about your bed?

Good luck creating your own, personalized gratitude log!

Freshman at University of Maine in Orono from Scarborough, Maine. Psychology major, dancer and figure skater.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!