5 Easy Tips to Make Formal a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Formal season is officially upon us. Whether you’re in a sorority, a club, or just going to support an organization on campus, it can be a stressful time! You may be planning for months or roll out of bed two hours before the event and decide to go. Here are a few self-care tips to get you ready to go and prepared for formal!

1. First find a dress… and let everything else come after that.

Find a dress that fits you well and makes you feel really good about yourself! It’ll be in pictures forever and if you don’t find a dress, you’ll be stressed about the event and won’t be excited! Finding a dress ahead of time will make everything else easier in the long run.

2. Get together everything you need for the dress!

Maybe the dress is strappy/backless and you need a sticky bra instead of the one you’ve been wearing for a month without washing. Maybe you need a little dress tape or your mom friend to sew the straps a little tighter. Whatever it may be, get that shit now!!

3. Get your skin ready!

Start doing some masks to cleanse and hydrate your skin so your face is clear and your makeup goes on evenly! Doing masks ahead of time will not only set your up for success but will also make you feel like your life is together (even if it’s not).

4. Make sure you have some cute but comfortable shoes.

Maybe you like to wear 6 inch heels for pictures but know your changing into flats the second you get to the venue. Maybe you’re wear a huge block heel and good to dance in them the whole night. Whatever it may be, make sure they match your dress and that you can at least walk where you need to go in them!

5. Do all those little things the night before that you always forget until 5 minutes before you’re supposed to leave.

Shave your legs and armpits, paint your nails, fake tan, do a hair mask, live your best life!!!!

Follow all these tips and you’re sure to have a freaking night!!

Photo: 1

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.