Wellness

15 Productive Things to do While in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Bored in the house and you’re in the house bored? As most of us are staying 6 feet apart and social distancing, our everyday activities have turned upside down. Daily routines have become nonexistent and we’ve found a lot more time to fend for ourselves. 

I’ve struggled with falling in a deep hole full of Netflix and YouTube, and  I came to the realization that I was not going to spend time in quarantine like that. I needed to be productive with the many hours of free time that came to my plate. 

I have compiled a list of 15 things that I have done that have helped me stay (somewhat) productive during my time in quarantine!

Learn MANY TikTok dances.

This is an easy one as there are hundreds of dances to be learned. This can also double as a workout, especially a cardio workout!

Watch an informational documentary on Netflix.

Honestly, any documentary is informational in one way or another.

Read a book or multiple!

Reading is an extremely productive activity to do, and it’s a great alternative to watching Netflix all day or otherwise sitting on screens!

Find new and inspiring podcasts to listen to.

Listening to podcasts is good while you’re doing something productive, like re-organizing your room! A few of my favorites are Crime Junkie, The CHAARG Podcast, Ologies with Alie Ward, and Light Love and Lace with Marissa Lace!

Re-organize your room or your whole house!

Decluttering and reorganizing can be a great way to de-stress and find your inner peace. It also gets you up and moving, which is better than sitting on your bum all day!

Declutter your computer desktop or workspace!

Having a cluttered work area, such as your desk or desktop on your computer, can prevent you from working to your full ability. Having a clean and clear area can change your whole mood!

Journal about anything that comes to mind!

Writing down your thoughts can clear your headspace, as well as providing you with something productive to do. Be creative with how to perform this task!

Eat healthier or workout/Start a challenge or do a Zoom workout with your friends.

Eating healthier or working out can improve and better yourself! Starting a challenge can also provide you with something to look forward to every day while being stuck in quarantine!

Make some extra money by selling your unwanted clothes on a reselling platform.

This could include Poshmark, DePop, Mercari, eBay, Instagram, etc! This gives you an opportunity to declutter your closet, be creative, and earn some extra cash!

Start an indoor garden and make sure to care for them enough to keep them alive.

Starting an indoor garden with fruits and vegetables can help you eat healthier, and better your future self! It also gives you something to care for every day, definitely a plus for me! Surprisingly, this is a difficult task. They need a lot of extra love and care. Search youtube videos and articles on how to grow specific plants!

Find new recipes to try OR bake something your whole family can try!

Having all this extra free time gives you the opportunity to try new things, so why not bake! It’s also so fun to experiment with new foods!

Get crafty.

Paint, draw, knit, sew, build, create anything! Maybe find a new creative hobby, something that you can continue to do outside of quarantine!

Make new music playlists for every mood and occasion.

Your future self will thank you for this later.

Learn new card games.

This is the perfect time to learn new card games, either by yourself or with someone in your household.

Create a bucket list or plan for your future!

You could follow this as you go through life, or you could look back on it and see where you were in life at the time!

BONUS: Take time for self-care EVERY DAY. This is extremely important as we’re all going through a stressful and difficult time. Our bodies, skin, and hearts need a little extra love right now. There’s no excuse not to incorporate self-care into your everyday routine.

BONUS #2: ALWAYS find time to facetime a family member, friend, or someone you miss! It’s always good to see a new face, especially when you’re seeing the same ones every day in your household!

Kaitlyn is a first-year student at the University of Maine with a major in Elementary Education, in hopes of finding a minor in the near future. She enjoys nature walks on the bog walk, geocaching with her friends, and watching horror movies all year round!