Wellness > Mental Health

Re-read instead of swiping: why you should be going to bed with your favorite book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Simply put, I am a book junkie.

As an English major, that would be expected, right? Except I have this strange habit of only reading what I want to read during the summer months. I am always amazed at English students who have a “free read book” (yes, in my mind they are still “free reads” if they are not required for class) in their hands as they walk across campus. The exorbitant reading lists per semester for each English major are just too much to handle sometimes. So, contrary to popular English major belief, I haven’t read for enjoyment during the school months – until now.

Woman in bed surrounded by laptop and books
Photo by Windows from Unsplash
Whether it be online classes, or a thirst for a return to childhood, I started reading again for pleasure this semester. Originally, it was to fill up my extra time during syllabus week. Now, I’ve found reading a few chapters a night gets me off of my phone and to relax much faster than the hours I usually spent on TikTok at one AM.

However, I can’t commit to a new book. I want something comforting and that I know I will love… so, I’ve settled on rereading my entire childhood.

Of course, I mean the Harry Potter series.

From the start of my obsession with books, I rarely re-read something I have previously read.

The first time I read Harry Potter I was in third grade. As an eight-year-old, you can’t quite grasp the beauty and treasure that is Harry Potter. Even so, I was hooked. From the books, to the movies, to Pottermore – there was no turning back. But, I always hesitated to pick up the books after my initial read for fear of finding that I no longer loved them.

Books, harry potter, nescafe cup, lights
Photo by Sadiq Nafee from Unsplash
I intended to pick up the books from the library purely as a time-killer. I doubted I would make it all the way through the series without becoming bored or finding something better to do with my spare time. Yet, I just started the fifth book of the series and spend all day itching to go home and read a few chapters each night.

Here’s what I’ve found re-reading my favorite book(s) has done for me:

1. I look forward to going to bed. Most of the time, I hate sitting down in bed because it makes me feel like I’m missing out on some part of college that is happening around me – even at midnight. Now, I can’t wait to crawl under my covers and read a few chapters before I go to sleep.
  2. I’m getting better sleep. TikTok used to rule my life: I would fall asleep with a looping video in my hand. Now, I rarely look at my phone before bed and feel prepared to fall asleep when the time comes.
  3. It’s comforting to know what is going to happen in the end. I chronically read the endings of books – or Google the endings of movies – before I’ve finished them. Now, I know exactly what is coming and know I will love every second of it.
  4. Re-reading is just as exciting as your first time through. When it comes to your favorite book, no matter how many times you have read a certain part, it’s exciting to come across it again.
  5. If it’s a childhood favorite, re-reading your favorite book brings you back to a piece of innocence that you may have forgotten. The Harry Potter books bring me back to running around the playground discussing what I had read the night prior in my latest book. The nostalgia, combined with the enjoyment, is just as good as reading the book for the first time.
  6. Reading is a reward instead of a chore. Since I read so often for classes, I usually don’t want to invest the time it takes to divulge a new novel when I’m balancing reading Shakespeare and Baldwin. Re-reading gives a sense of relief once I’ve finished what I’ve deemed as “homework” compared to my “free read book.”

Woman reading a book in bed
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels
Even if reading is not your favorite activity – we all have a favorite book. For some, it might be Harry Potter; for others, Percy Jackson; or maybe, the Pretty Little Liars series. It doesn’t matter what you read, only that you’re doing something for yourself.

Sylvia Clubb is a third-year student at The University of Iowa double majoring in English and Journalism and Mass Communications on the Publishing Track.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.