Wellness > Health

I Started Rock Wall Climbing, and It’s Empowering AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I’ve walked past the climbing wall in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center dozens of times, usually only giving it a passing glance on my way upstairs to the elliptical. I would see the people suspended in midair, eye level with me on the second or even third floor, hanging on by the tips of their toes, and I would think to myself, They’re freaking crazy.

Well, now I’m one of those crazies.

My boyfriend works at the climbing wall on campus, and one week into dating, he asked me if I would be willing to try it. Since the relationship was still new and I didn’t want to seem like a wimp who was scared to venture outside her comfort zone, I agreed. I love to try new things, but dangling 52 and ½ feet in the air didn’t exactly fit my version of “fun.” (Fun fact: it’s 52 and ½ feet because Iowa State’s climbing wall is 52 feet, and we wanted to outdo them).

woman on rock climbing wall
Photo by bady qb on Unsplash
Nevertheless, I started to climb. I got stuck several times, but after a lot of encouragement and direction from my boyfriend, I made it to the top and slapped the top of the wall with a sweaty palm. As I was lowered to the ground, I felt stupidly out of breath and my forearms were tenser than I ever thought possible. But mostly, I was proud. Looking back up from the ground, I no longer saw the wall as something to fear. Instead, I saw a challenge. I saw excitement and strategy, strength and skill. I was hooked.

It’s been seven months since that first climb. Ian and I climb weekly now, sometimes multiple times a week. I’m even taking an Intro to Rock Wall Climbing course later this month. When I pick up a new hobby, my motto is clearly “Go big or go home.”

I love to be challenged and climbing fulfills that perfectly. Every time I strap into my harness, I know I’m in for a physical and mental test. There’s the strategy that goes into studying the holds, trying to figure out what hold you should reach for next or where you should place your foot. There’s the physical aspect of it, literally pulling my own weight by the tips of my toes and fingers. There’s the soreness in my shoulders and forearms the next day, and the bruises that somehow keep mysteriously popping up on my legs. There’s the callouses and chunks of skin that literally tear from my fingers. But I love every piece of it, because it’s evidence that I’m accomplishing something.

Aside from making me feel good for being active, the wall is also a huge confidence booster. Sure, there are the frustrating days when I get stuck and have to try again and again to get past that one difficult spot. But there’s also the reward when I finally conquer that challenge. There’s the reward of seeing my progress, of breezing through climbs that used to stump me. Long story short, it makes me feel like a straight up badass.

woman on rock climbing wall
Photo by yns plt on Unsplash
To anyone looking for a new hobby or a unique, fun way to work out: give climbing a try. It can be intimidating, but the wall staff and regulars are so helpful and encouraging. And despite what you might think, you won’t fall to your death! When you climb, you’re strapped into a harness, which is hooked to a rope that is held by someone else on the ground – your belayer. Belayers have to take a training course and pass a test before they’re allowed to belay, so you’re always in good hands.

If you’re still scared, grab a friend and try it together. The wall is even hosting a climbing clinic in November just for women who’ve never climbed before and want to learn how. Your safety bubble can be scary to leave, but trust me: the view from the top of the wall is worth it!

Paige Schlichte is a senior at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Psychology. In her free time, you can find her drinking coffee, binge-watching Friends, or rereading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time.