Five Ways to Motivate Yourself to Go to the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s finally a new year and you know what that means…. A NEW YOU! Well, possibly, but most people have at least one thing they want to improve on going into the New Year. And most likely, one of those things is a healthy lifestyle. Healthy living can be a scary thing at first if you aren’t sure what to do, but once it becomes part of your life, you’ll never want to go back! Whether you want to be the healthiest you’ve ever been or you just want to tone up in hopes of looking like those fitness models on Instagram, you probably want to make it to the gym more than you did in 2015. Sticking to your New Year’s resolution is hard, but here are five tips to keep you motivated!

1. Find a friend! Finding a friend who has the same goals as you is one of the best ways to stay motivated. Check your schedules and make time where you can both go to the gym a couple times a week. It’s way more fun to workout with a friend by your side anyways!

2. Stay consistent! It might be hard at first, but if you make yourself go to the gym consistently around the same time each day, it will start to be a daily routine and not a chore.

3. Buy cute workout clothes! Going to the gym isn’t any fun if you don’t have cute clothes to show off. Find clothes that suit you and your style, and I promise it will make you want to go that much more. Some great stores to shop at are Lulu Lemon, Nike and The Gap (who knew!).

4. Don’t JUST run… If you want to make the gym more fun, change up your workout routine! Try running outside one day and weights the next. Your body will respond better if it doesn’t do the same thing every single day.

5. Take classes! Taking a workout class is one of the best ways to stay motivated. You can always try something new, and eventually you’ll find something you LOVE! This is such an easy way to motivate yourself to go to the gym because you know you’ll get an awesome workout in, and you will love doing it at the same time.

Natalie Lawyer is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Journalism. She is also a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Her dreams are to eventually leap into the fashion world and write for a fashion magazine. In her free time she loves to make YouTube videos about fashion and lifestyle. You can check her out on YouTube at youtube.com/natalielawyer. Stay in the know and catch me on Twitter and Instagram (@natalielawyer)!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.