This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

As someone who has been trying to be healthier, I have done a lot of research about simple ways to be healthier and feel better overall. Here are 5 simple steps to be a healthier you.

​1. Drink more water

My first step to becoming healthier overall is drinking more water. Coming from someone who used to drink little to no water, implementing more water into my diet has significantly changed the way I feel. As someone who gets cramps often whether it be in my foot or my leg, drinking more water has helped with that a lot and has made my skin softer overall (huge bonus). I would recommend buying a cute water bottle and bringing it around campus so you are not tempted to get a soda or some other beverage when you are out and about.

2. Decide on some foods that you want to cut out of your diet

This may seem easy, but I recommend you challenge yourself. I have been trying to eat more of a vegan diet lately, so I have been cutting out dairy and meat, especially meat that is fried. I think there are many different things that can improve your health by cutting them out of your diet such as gluten, red meat and sweets.

3. Sleep more 

Make sure you get a good night of sleep. No, I am not your mom… but try and be more aware of how much sleep I have been getting has greatly improved my diet and how my day goes. Try to get that recommended 8 hours of sleep and try not to nap too often.

4. Eat slower

As someone who scarfs down food, eating slowly is something I have been working on. The more aware of the amount of food you are consuming and the slower you eat, the less you will eat in general. Most of the time you will also only eat when you are hungry, which is essential for a healthy diet.

5. Start a morning routine

After watching this video by the amazing Jinti Fell, I started a morning routine which has significantly changed the way my day goes. Days where I wake up and am rushed, I feel behind the entire day. Waking up 15 minutes earlier allows me to get myself mentally and physically prepared for the day. 

Hopefully these tips help you have better days and feel great!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.